

Staff Association Minutes

September 13, 2017, 3:00pm

Blum JCR

Senators Present: Jackie Burns, Andrea Collins-Keller, Jessica Frogge, Carol Hare, Kathy Kelly, Lisa May, Louise Mills, Fred Nessler, Jessica Poet, Hawley Rumpf

Senators Absent: Derek Evans, Barb Harris, Eric Kramer, Christina Lund, Tara Stoll, Jena Williams

Staff: Michelle Diaz, Nancy Nelson

Invited Guests: Cale Fessler, Elise Hepworth, Jomel Nichols

Cale Fessler Report:

- Dr. Vartabedian, Dr. Daffron, and Dr. Davenport are in Jefferson City for meetings today and tomorrow.
- The four-day work week: we have put together an email survey for feedback, open until the end of the day Friday [September 15] – so far 245 responses, 72% yes to continuing 4 day work weeks next year, 11% no to continuing, 17.5% no preference. The largest number of comments have been positive. A large number of comments have been asking “can we do this for an additional amount of time [in addition to the month of June]?” – this is something we will be talking about.
- A quick update on enrollment, report is from Monday: just over 1,000 freshman, I would guess we are going to lose a few more of those, but you never know. Total credit hours, which we pay a lot of attention to from a budgetary standpoint, is up 1.3%: undergraduate are up 1.4%, graduate hours are down 4.4%, but that sounds worse than it is, because we have the same number of graduate students this year as last. We have had a significant struggle with our international students and getting their visas.
- Everyone in Murphy is pretty hot right now, just an update on the timeline there: we had a full HVAC failure on Monday, so we have portable cooling units and fans. We have also been trying to pull in cool air in the evenings, cool the building as much as we can. In terms of timeline, we are now looking at the end of September, we have had some impact because the equipment is coming from the Georgia/Florida area.
- Many of the projects and renovations around campus have been wrapped up, or nearly wrapped up. Update on the HB-19 fund, we have just under half a million dollars left from the 4.8 million. A bulk of that is going to finish some HVAC work in Potter Hall, we are going to be focusing on the main lobby and the theater itself.

Question: Jackie Burns: The money to pay for the Murphy unexpected expense, did that come from the reserves or HB-19?

Cale Fessler: We paid for that from HB-19. We got a hold of the state, we had \$100,000 set aside for work in that facility, so we got a hold of several people who had oversight over those funds and explained to them that it was a dire need, and the cost will come just under \$100,000 when it's all done.

Question: Fred Nessler: Do we have any final cost savings for the 4 day work week?

Cale Fessler: Net for the month of June was about \$23,000 of overall savings. Electric savings was about \$31,000, but the biggest offset difference was in water, cause in Looney in particular, we did not have that pool online at all last year in June, so we had no water usage. This summer, we did, so that was about \$8,000 additional in water and sewage cost [from last year]. There was also a 9% increase in sewage rates from last year to this year. We had estimated a \$25,000 savings so we hit that on the nose. Some of that \$31,000 savings can be attributed to the HVAC changes made. 10%-15% of those cost savings can probably be attributed to our own efficiency cost saving measures.

Question: Kathy Kelly: How come the third floor of Popplewell didn't get any renovations?

Cale Fessler: We didn't go into the 3rd floor of Popplewell, that received some significant renovation dollars when that changed over to Craig School of Business, so we focused on what hadn't been renovated recently on the first and second floors. Also, from an HVAC perspective, what was on the third floor was in much, much better shape than what was on the other two floors.

Question: Kathy Kelly: Have you had any feedback from students on the computer labs being closed?

Cale Fessler : From students, not to my knowledge. I know there has been a lot more usage of what is available in Blum.

Old Business

Hawley Rumpf: I move to approve the August minutes.

Jessica Frogge: Second.

Approved.

C-3 Committee Update – Carol Hare

- The committee has not met since the last Staff Association meeting.

Strategic Planning – Jomel Nichols

- Tara Stoll was unable to attend today's meeting, so Jomel came to update the association.
- Elise Hepworth [our Faculty Senate Liaison] is also on this committee.
- The Strategic Planning Steering Committee started meeting in January and spent a significant amount of time in the beginning of the year doing environmental scans and analysis and gathering data on where we are as a University, gathering data on students and things of that nature and put that information together in a way that would be easy for people to access and review. It is on the strategic plan website (<https://www.missouriwestern.edu/strategicplan/>). I encourage you to take a minute and take a look at the data that has been collected, look at a snap shot of what we are as a University and a snapshot of our student population, and there's also an environmental scan identifying some of our strengths and weaknesses and opportunities.
- Where we are in the process now is getting your feedback. We will be getting feedback from our various constituents until the end of September, though we may need to extend that further. We will be rolling this out to the community and will be encouraging the public to go on to this webpage and give their feedback. Please encourage the people in your area to give feedback.
- After we gather the feedback, there will be a process of analysis and determining what the plan will be for the next 5 years. Then we will take this plan to the Board of Governors for approval and then we will implement the strategic plan at that point.

Elise Hepworth: I would like to emphasize again that we are stakeholders in this strategic plan and so it is imperative that we have enough people submit responses. It has been a very low response rate at this point and I would encourage you to encourage people to respond. This is their chance to express great ideas, or new programs, or improvements – it doesn't matter how crazy it is, submit those ideas. We want a true snapshot of how people are doing and where they want to go.

Jomel Nichols: On an aside, on the 4 day work week, it was amazing to get so much feedback and be able to give everyone a quick opportunity to speak on that. This is a similar opportunity, the information will be look at, reviewed,

and used to make decisions. If you want to be involved in what the University does in the future, this is an opportunity to do that.

Committee Reports

Fred Nesslage: Barb has created committees with their members and committee chairs. So far there are two committees who have not selected a chair. She got the list to the Executive Board before the meeting, but she will get them out to everyone soon. There are currently still some committees looking for a committee chair.

Jackie Burns: I will be putting them on the website too.

Hawley Rumpf: We do not have our constituent lists yet do we?

Fred Nesslage: No, Barb indicated that she plans on getting those out tomorrow. She was not in the office today to get both of those lists out to you today.

Jackie Burns: In the past, we have sent out postcards to our constituents, letting them know who your senator is and contact information. It costs about \$70 to make those postcards, and I'm wondering if we couldn't be frugal and personal by sending an email to each of our constituents? It would save money and add more of a personal touch.

Fred Nesslage: I think, given our current budget situation, it would be prudent to just do a personal email or phone call, if everyone would agree to that. It seems like the support is in not doing postcards, is that correct?

Hawley Rumpf: I don't know who decides this, does just the E Board decide on the split between Special Events and Professional Development [monies from Foundation]? Does welcoming also get a little bit?

Jackie Burns: Not out of professional development. Welcoming comes out of operating.

Fred Nesslage: And yes, we have decided an allocation, which I will bring up shortly. Do we have any committee reports?

Committee Reports

- **Grievance** - Kathy Kelly
 - The grievance committee did rewrite the bylaws, they have been sent to Tim Kissock a few months ago, and I have followed up 3 or 4 times, most recently last week, and still haven't heard back. So if you don't mind, sending him an email.

Fred Nesslage: I visit with Tim and see if I can't get it moving along.

- **Professional Development** - Jackie Burns
 - Concerning Professional Development, we have had 10 people put in applications that have been approved. We have allocated \$2000 already of that budget and its not even September 15th.
- **Welcoming** – Jackie Burns
 - Today in the Griffon Weekly it came out that we have 4 new staff members, which we haven't welcomed because we just found out about them this morning. Miles Loucks, Physical Plant; Blake Spease, IMC; Samantha Wemple, Residential Life; Nick Sutton, Financial Aid. We will be welcoming them within the week.
- **Constitution & By-laws** - Michelle Diaz:

- This is kind of from last year. We have had some changes to the bylaws approved. I attended the GAC meeting with Tara Stoll on June 20th and they just approved those changes. Who is the person I get together with then to change the website?

Jackie Burns: The policy guide is changed by Jennie McDonald, but if the changes went through GAC, she will do it.

Michelle Diaz: How do I change the google doc that is on the staff association webpage?

Fred Nesslage: I think the bylaws are through the policy guide but there is also a separate document on our staff association page that needs to be changed as well.

Jackie Burns: I will check. I can get with you Michelle.

President's Report – Fred Nesslage

- I did attend the Board of Governors meeting – the one thing that stands out from that is the approval of a new pavilion on the west end of the stadium bowl. An interesting arrangement where the land is going to be leased to Steven Craig, he will build the pavilion as he sees fit then it will be bequeathed if you will back to the University once its complete. There were some conceptual drawings there that looked pretty nice, hopefully we can use it in the future for events and things. That will be paid for completely by Steven Craig, which is why it was done the way it was. I think their intent is to have it done by the Chief's camp time next year, whether or not we host Chief's camp again.
- Dr. Fessler talked about the four day work week. If you have not responded to that survey yet, please do so. It needs to be in by September 15th.
- Strategic plan responses, I have heard that responses have been requested by September 30th.
- There was a presentation from the architectural firm working on the Potter Hall expansion this past week. I briefly looked at it, it looked interesting. I did not stay for the presentation. That project is moving forward at least in the design phase.
- Just a reminder, you can get a game day punch pass for any athletic event, contact Connie Brock for that.
- Another reminder, the United Way campaign. If you have not considered donating yet, please do so.
- Convocation brought a particularly powerful message from Mr. King. Hope everyone was able to attend and experience his message. A very humble gentleman, I was very impressed with his demeanor and his ideas and how he continued his father's legacy and commitment to nonviolent protests as needed and other involvement and action.
- The split of our budget allocation between professional development and operation. We as an E Board has discussed it. We have decided to allocate \$4000 to professional development, \$2500 to special events. Given our unstable budget outlook and what's going on with that, we felt that it would be a good idea to have money in reserve, just in case we had another withhold, so we were responsible and did not allow our staff association's allocations to run into the red. Should everything turn out well, we can certainly release that later in the year to special events or professional development as needed.

Hawley Rumpf: So was the split different last year?

Jackie Burns: It was \$4500 to professional development and \$2500 to special events.

Hawley Rumpf: You realize it takes \$2500 to feed everyone and covers nothing else.

Jackie Burns: This is just our money from foundation, it does not include what is coming from operating.

Hawley Rumpf: So what goes on with operating?

Jackie Burns: It is my understanding that money from both foundation and operating have gone to special events, so this is just how the money from foundation is being allocated. Usually we get \$2400 for operating, so 3% less than that

would be available. It has usually been used for postcards, and the welcoming committee, and special events. I can't see welcoming having to spend more than \$100 dollars, as we are pretty well stocked at the moment.

Hawley Rumpf: So they give us \$7500?

Jackie Burns: No, they give us \$7000, and we have allotted all but \$500, we are holding that in reserve.

Carol Hare: So another \$2000 from operating could potentially be used toward special events?

Jackie Burns: Probably.

Hawley Rumpf: Who decides if we are only going to do one special event?

Kathy Kelly: I have done lots of events all over campus, and unless there is a contract that needs to be fulfilled, you can plan whatever you want.

Hawley Rumpf: But if we are switching it, if we've always done two, I think that decision needs to come from somewhere.

Jackie Burns: That is up to the special events committee, according to the bylaws. If it comes to where, because of budget reasons and higher prices, its hard to put on two nice events, that's where a discussion in your committee would come up.

Hawley Rumpf: It has always been my argument that those events reach more people than special events, and I did not realize the E Board made that decision on their own. I think we should be able to put input on the allocation of money.

Jackie Burns: Its not written in the bylaws, but in the past the E Board has always decided that allocation.

Kathy Kelly: On other boards, a lot of times the E Board sets it and the Senate approves it, but the bylaws here don't address it.

Fred Nessler: I asked Barb that question and she thought the E Board generally did the allocation. Certainly we can have input, but in the past it has been primarily the E Board who made that allocation. Part of the split is because when we approached Foundation regarding an increase, we really focused on professional development, because that really isn't available in individual departments.

Hawley Rumpf: I think we've also been told that we're not supposed to travel.

Fred Nessler: I'm going to propose the allocation of the funds as we have discussed and request input at this time. Let's plan for the next Senate meeting to hold a vote regarding a final allocation.

Hawley Rumpf: I would just like to request clarification: if the [professional development] allocation is \$4000, that means 40 people will benefit from it.

Jackie Burns: If they request the full \$200, 20 people will benefit.

Hawley Rumpf: So where did that \$200 amount come from? I'm obviously fighting for special events, I feel like they reach so many more people.

Jackie Burns: Times have changed and I can see with talk of not doing as much travel, I will say we will probably need to decide soon because we've already allocated half of the proposed budget.

Kathy Kelly: Can we see who and for what has been requested? It would be interesting to see what was approved.

Jackie Burns: I don't know if that would be confidential or not. The way it works is if HR approves it, we approve it.

Hawley Rumpf: And HR also provides them with some of their own professional development money correct?

Jackie Burns: Yes, HR can also allocate up to \$200. And I brought up several years ago, what if people found a conference to go to in April, but the money was already gone. I advocated that we split the pool of money for fall semester and spring semester. But then there is the fear that we would not use all of the money in the professional development fund. Last year, we did not use all of the money, and so we moved the money over to special events.

Carol Hare: I would toss around the idea of why \$200? If we could spread it out to more people, could not \$150 be better at this time? Where did \$200 come from?

Jessica Poet: I would wager that if we lower the amount of money they get, less people would be able to use our professional development money, because they wouldn't be getting enough to go somewhere.

Hawley Rumpf: But we're not supposed to be travelling anyway.

Jackie Burns: It depends on your department, I have not heard that no one is supposed to be travelling.

Carol Hare: I would make a suggestion that, before this goes to vote next month, that we freeze the money and not allocate any more money to professional development.

Hawley Rumpf: So who does the budget for you guys? I'm curious, do you mind if I look at it, on my own? I just want to look at the total costs last year of what we spent on special events.

Jackie Burns: Barb has all the spreadsheets I made when I was treasurer, you can request to look at those from her.

Hawley Rumpf: Okay, I'm going to look at those, I want to have numbers to back up what I'm saying and bring those when we have a vote.

Kathy Kelly: I'm curious too, certain roles don't have a lot of opportunities to travel, who is it that's mainly using this money?

Jackie Burns: I will say, its mainly exempt staff that are using it.

Kathy Kelly: That may be something to look at too, possibly splitting it between exempt and nonexempt. Maybe by the time nonexempt staff could use it, that would be in the spring and there would be no money left.

Jackie Burns: This sounds like a discussion we need to put before open senate, and not confine it to just a committee.

Fred Nessler: Do we have history of previous years of who was approved and who actually used the professional development money?

Jackie Burns: I know I have a spreadsheet that goes back at least 4 years. It says who, and where they went, and how much they requested.

Jessica Poet: That could be interesting to know too, if it's the same 4 people that go every year, maybe we need to spread it out more.

Jackie Burns: Does anyone know the history of that, who started that fund and how it was started?

Carol Hare: But the overall thing to keep in mind, is that our numbers are up for winter retreat, and we have had a number of comments on what that has done for morale, camaraderie, team building. It's an event that we have a lot of staff look forward too. This past year we had a little over 200 staff who attended. It's fantastic that we can get that many together in a room and yet, at so much for food and what not, it's a double edge sword. But we are touching and reaching so many people, versus 20 [with professional development]. We didn't do anything near as elaborate for the spring, but it was still nice.

Jackie Burns: I do have a question about the spring retreat: to use this money we do have to have a professional development slant to it, so what was the professional slant for the retreat?

Hawley Rumpf: I thought we were told we didn't have to have a professional development slant, so there wasn't one. We have had in the past, we had games and whatnot for team building.

Jackie Burns: It is my understanding that to use Foundation money we have to have a professional development slant.

Hawley Rumpf: Well we did not. And I may have to clarify that, were we technically using Foundation money for the Spring Retreat? Or were we really using operating money?

Jackie Burns: I know some of it was foundation, because we had some leftover from professional development. I think its something to take to Foundation, with limited funds, where do you want us to spend our funds, on lots of people or just a few?

Hawley Rumpf: I know we use to have more money [for special events], but that was years and years ago, and then when everyone took a budget cut, we got less Foundation money.

Jackie Burns: I can tell you, when I first became First Vice-President, we had a large reserve. And it was really easy to throw some really nice events, when you have a large reserve. But as it dwindled, we realized you can't put on as nice of events without that reserve.

Carol Hare: I make a motion that we cease allocation of professional development funds.

Kathy Kelly: I second.

Fred Nessler: We have a motion and a second to freeze professional development funds until the October meeting when the Senate can determine a proper allocation.

Approved.

Fred Nessler: The E Board will get together and put something together to send out, and we will vote on that at the next meeting.

Jackie Burns: Should we poll our constituents now?

Fred Nessler: Let's have the E Board get together and put something together and then we can have something consistent go out to our constituents asking for their input on how that money should be used. But make contact with your constituents first, so when this is sent out, they know who their Senator is and who to respond to.

Fred Nessler: I only have one more thing today. Bill Church, President of Faculty Senate, has approached me and invited our E Boards to get together to discuss and common concerns or motions to put forward. We are going to try and meet once a semester and we are trying to coordinate a good time to meet.

First Vice President's Report – Barb Harris unable to make it today

Other Business/Open Discussion

Jessica Frogge: I was contacted by one of my constituents, a concern about Aramak prices, if there was a possibility to have a discount on breakfast. Breakfast is like \$7 something, \$4.64 for lunch, \$9 something for dinner.

Fred Nessler: I will contact Sherry [in Aramak] and see what we can do.

Carol Hare: Motion to adjourn.

Hawley Rumpf: Second.

Mark your calendars: Next meeting will be **Wednesday, October 11 at 3:00pm** in Junior College Room (Blum 234)