College Insurance & Risk Management

Vehicle Use

College Vehicles

State vehicles are to be used for official business only, not for personal use. (Section 301.260 RSMo) All laws are to be followed including the wearing of seat belts.

College vehicles are to be operated only by MWSU employees as defined by the Attorney General’s office. The individual must receive a pay check from MWSU and hold the appropriate valid drivers license. Unless otherwise provided by law, non-MWSU individuals such as volunteers, spouses and children should not operate state vehicles nor should they be passengers in a MWSU vehicle unless they are on official MWSU business.

Liability to other persons (bodily injury and property damage) due to employee negligence in the operation of a MWSU vehicle will be covered by the State provided that the employee was operating the vehicle on official business within the scope of their employment.

Personal Cars

Some conditions of state employment may necessitate the use of personal vehicles for official business.

Like most employers, MWSU pays mileage when a personal vehicle is used for official business and authorization is approved prior to the travel.

The established mileage reimbursement rate takes into consideration all costs of owning and operating a vehicle including depreciation. The reimbursement rate represents full compensation for the costs of operating your vehicle and therefore you maintain total responsibility to adequately insure, safely operate, properly maintain and protect your own vehicle. Physical damage or loss to your private vehicle and/or personal property contents is not covered by the state. Coverage should be obtained through personal auto insurance.

Your private insurance is considered the primary carrier when using your auto for business trips. You are protected beyond that by the State Legal Expense Fund, up to a maximum provided by law, once all other policies have been exhausted.

Most private auto policies exclude business activities. However, exclusions may vary depending on the extent of business usage. Not all policies are the same and levels of coverage differ. Refer to your policy or contact your agent for coverage specifics.

Rental Cars

Employees are covered by the State Legal Expense Fund while driving on behalf of MWSU, including rental cars. This does not cover personal side trips. When you rent a car, there is no need to purchase the insurance the rental agency offers. If you use a credit card, please check with the card company because many credit card companies provide insurance for rental of cars. This coverage would be in addition to the State Legal Expense Fund and cover personal outings.