At Griffon Orientation (GO), you will receive materials and information that will be helpful in getting you acquainted with our campus and the people that are here to help you be academically successful. However, you can begin preparing for your orientation program now! Begin preparing by following the list below:
Join Facebook Group
Submit Immunization Records
Take Placement Exams
Complete the FAFSA
Finalize your Housing Contract
Request Special Accommodations
Send AP Test Scores
Submit Final High School Transcripts
- Go to the Goldlink site.
- Click on “Activate your account”
- Click on Account Lookup
- Enter your information
The Official Missouri Western Class of 2024 Facebook group is a space for students to connect with other incoming Griffons, receive updates for important deadlines, and get their questions answered by connecting with our New Student Initiatives team. We also host weekly Facebook Live sessions where students can ask questions related to topics including placement exams, financial aid, and getting involved on campus.
We design this group exclusively for students as a space to connect, therefore we do not accept requests from parents, guardians, or family members.
Missouri Western State University requires all students to submit a Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire
RESIDENCE HALL STUDENTS
Students living on campus are required to submit:
- Tuberculosis (TB) Screening Questionnaire AND
- Meningococcal Immunization (MCV4 or MPSV4) documentation (given at 16 years of age or older) or if applicable, a signed waiver that indicates you have medical or religious exemption from the meningococcal immunization OR
- Other official immunization records from the Health Department, a physician’s office, hospital or school.
Additionally, students who have ever had a positive tuberculin skin test, must submit a physician signed chest x-ray report with their health and immunizations records, prior to move-in to confirm the absence of active disease.
Prior to moving in, all documentation must be submitted by:
- Mail: Esry Student Health Center, 4525 Downs Drive – Blum Union 203, St. Joseph, MO 64507 OR
- Fax: (816) 271-4498 OR
- Email: email@example.com
All students will be placed into basic skills courses which are required for the General Studies program and are typically prerequisites for many upper level courses. It is important that you complete any required coursework in English, mathematics and reading as early in your college career as possible to ensure you graduate in a timely manner. To determine your correct placement into these courses, we look at your highest ACT sub-scores in English, mathematics and reading. You will have a chance to take online placement exams if you’d like to try and test out of the courses where you are placed. You will receive an email if you are eligible for a placement exam. It is important that you take these exams before your virtual GO program.
Your placement will be determined based on your highest ACT Mathematics sub-score.
- 17 ACT or lower – MAT 081 Foundations for University Mathematics
- 18 to 21 ACT – MAT 110E Contemporary Problem Solving plus a supplemental instruction course (satisfies General Studies – some degrees require a higher level math course)
- 22 ACT or higher – MAT 110, MAT 112, MAT 116 (General Studies Mathematics)
Students with an ACT Reading sub-score of 17 or less are required to take RDG 095 – Reading Skills Improvement.
Your placement will be determined based on your highest ACT English sub-score.
- 17 ACT or lower – ENG 100 Introduction to College Writing
- 18 ACT or higher – ENG 104 College Writing and Rhetoric
- 26 ACT or higher – ENG 112 Honors Composition (optional course)
- Apply for a PIN from the U.S. Department of Education
- Complete the FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov (Missouri Western FAFSA code: 002490)
- Review the Student Aid Report (SAR) for accuracy
- Complete verification (only if requested by Missouri Western)
Application opens October 1; Priority deadline is February 1
Detailed FAFSA information can also be found in your acceptance packet that you received by mail). For additional information about financial aid, visit the Office of Financial Aid website.
To enhance academic success, Missouri Western requires first-year students who have not previously attended this University and are taking 9 or more credit hours to reside in University housing their first two semesters unless they meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Are living with a parent, grandparent or legal guardian within a 50 mile radius of St Joseph
- Are 21 years of age by the beginning of the academic year for which they are enrolling
- Are a military veteran
- Have completed more than 30 credit hours (not including high school classes taken for college credit)
- Are married and/or who reside with dependent children
NOTE: Please submit a First Year Requirement Waiver if you meet any of the exemption criteria. These forms are also available through your Goldlink account.
APPLY FOR HOUSING:
Students need to apply for housing as soon as possible. (Please note that Missouri Western begins accepting housing applications on November 1.) Students will be required to pay a $100 housing deposit when submitting a housing application. No housing deposit waivers are allowed. You can apply for housing by following these instructions:
- Sign into Goldlink
- Click on the Student Life tab within your Goldlink account
- Click on MyHousing information under the On-Campus Living section
All first year students must have either a housing contract or a granted waiver request on file with the Office of Residential Life. Failure to have a granted housing waiver on file will result in a room charge being placed on the student’s account. Click here for additional information about living on campus.
We want your Griffon Orientation to be as stress-free as possible. Please let us know if there is anything we can do to make your GO module or virtual session more accessible. After all, you are now part of the Missouri Western State University family.
AP exam scores may exempt you from certain course requirements. It is possible that you indicated on your AP exam paperwork that you wanted your results to be sent to Missouri Western State University.
Send AP Scores to the Registrar’s Office:
Missouri Western State University
Registrar’s Office, Eder Hall 102
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, Missouri 64507
Request that your high school principal or counselor submit your final, official high school transcript showing class rank, cumulative grade point average, and courses taken. These scores should be sent to the Office of Admissions.
Office of Admissions
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507