ADMISSION to MAJORS HONORS are as follows:
- Students who have successfully completed 32 hours of course work at MWSU or any accredited college or university with a GPA of 3.5 are invited to apply for admission into the MAJORS HONORS PROGRAM.
- The following departments offer MAJORS HONORS courses: Art; Biology; Business; Chemistry; Economics; Elementary Education; English, Foreign Languages and Journalism; Government; Health, Physical Education and Recreation; History; Music; Mathematics; Nursing; Psychology and Social Work. Check with the Department Chairperson for specific course titles.
- Declared majors in departments other than the above mentioned should contact their academic advisor for the MAJORS HONORS courses required in their major.
REQUIREMENTS of MAJORS HONORS: The Majors Honors Program provides students with an independent focused study in a chosen major under the direction of a professor. This independent study is intended to culminate in an Honors Project worthy of presentation and/or publication. In addition, students satisfactorily complete:
A student who is interested in doing Majors Honors at MWSU must
- Indicate that intention by completing a Majors Honors approval form (click here for form) (also available in the Honors Office Spratt Hall 202), by identifying a faculty mentor/research advisor, and by submitting the completed application to the Honors Program.
- Complete 6 credit hours of Honors Colloquia at the 300-level. (If that student has already completed General Studies Honors which requires 6 credit hours, then the colloquia requirement for Majors Honors is reduced to 4 credit hours.) In each colloquia the student needs a grade of A or B.
- Complete 2 designated upper-division courses in his or her major department, attaining a grade of A or B in each. These upper-division courses do not have to be the same for every student who elects Majors
Honors in that department. The student just has to do substantial work in the major to satisfy the supervising faculty member and the department.
- Complete a major research project or creative work that is done in conjunction with the two courses (or in addition to them).
- Submit a copy of the Majors Honors Research Project to the Honors Office with the signatures of the student and the faculty mentor.
- Submit to the Honors office the signed Majors Honors Progress Report with course work now completed and with the final grades attained along with the final title of the research project.
The Honors Office will verify successful completion of Majors Honors to the Registrar’s Office. This designation will be posted on the student’s official transcript.