Dr. Robert Vartabedian
This year is a significant milestone for Missouri Western State University, as we celebrate 100 years of transforming lives.
We are preparing for our next 100 years through the creation of a University master plan which addresses our overall campus design, space utilization, facilities, landscaping, and land lease opportunities, among other components.
We are continuing to create important opportunities for our students.
- As the state of Missouri’s designated University of applied learning, our students have unique hands-on learning experiences that make them more prepared to contribute immediately to the workforce. Thanks to the generosity of our lead benefactor, Steven L. Craig, 19 of our students have earned the ability to own their own businesses. Learn more about why we say “everything is possible” at Missouri Western.
- In only five years, the University’s enrollment of international students has grown from fewer than a dozen to more than 130 students anticipated for fall 2014. This has a transforming impact on not only the international students who come to study in Missouri, but also on our domestic students, truly providing them a global education right here in St. Joseph.
Missouri Western continues to serve as an economic and cultural driver for our region.
- We enjoy a rich partnership with the Kansas City Chiefs. Having the summer training camp on our campus is an honor for Missouri Western and a boon for St. Joseph.
- Missouri Western also plays a significant role in tourism in St. Joseph through the Walter Cronkite Memorial, opened in November 2013; and the live, multimedia drama “Cronkite.” The Walter Cronkite Memorial won the Governor’s Spotlight Award from the Missouri Division of Tourism in the fall of 2014 and draws visitors from around the world.
- We offer 10 athletic sports programs in the most competitive Division II conference in the country. Our student athletes are succeeding in record levels both on the field and in the classroom.
- Our numerous musical groups, gallery openings and theatre productions provide a full range of arts activities in the region.
In January 2015, we launched the public phase of our Centennial Capital Campaign, the largest capital campaign in University history. The campaign aims to provide the resources needed for Missouri Western to continue transforming lives for the next 100 years.
It’s an exciting time to be at Missouri Western State University. Please join us as we celebrate our past and anticipate our future.
Robert A. Vartabedian