Dr. Jeffrey L. Poet, MWSU
Dr. Kevin Lee Anderson, MWSU
Purposes of Site:
The purposes (goals) of this site are
· to facilitate communication among the participants in the Missouri Section of the MAA,
· to provide an avenue through which conference presentations can be put in a publicly accessible forum,
· to provide an opportunity for students to view their written work in a publicly accessible forum.
This site should not be considered a substitute or equivalent to publishing in an established refereed mathematics journal. Items published elsewhere should not be submitted for inclusion in this site. Items included here and subsequently published elsewhere will be eliminated from this site or will be reduced to summary and appropriate citation.
Submissions meeting the following criteria will be accepted for inclusion:
1. Submissions must be well-written with proper citation of all sources used. Submissions are expected to be free of spelling and grammatical errors, with clear and appropriate notation.
2. Contents of the submission must be essentially those of the presentation given at the Missouri MAA Section meeting with limited modifications permissible for the sake of clarity.
3. The body of each submission should be in Times New Roman, 12 pt font with standard margins of 1” top and bottom and 1” on the left and right.
4. Submissions should be submitted in an electronic format compatible with MicroSoft Word (such as *.doc, *.ppt, *.html, *.pdf, *.dvi, etc.)
5. Unless otherwise specified, submissions are due to firstname.lastname@example.org by two weeks after the annual spring meeting of the Missouri MAA.
6. Submissions should include the following contact information: Name, Institutional affiliation, e-mail, and in the case of a submission by a student, the name of a sponsoring faculty member.
0=1: A Collection of Proofs (or How My PhD became Useless), Don Vestal (MWSC)
Applications using Trigonometry and Similar Triangles, Linda Tansil (SEMO)
Connections Between Mathematics and Biology, Carl Cowen, (Purdue University)
Elliptic Curve Cryptography, Kevin Anderson (MWSC)
Finding The Viewing Window, Keith Brandt & Kevin Burger, (Rockhurst)
Two stars are better than one, Fred Cline*, (MWSC) (Jeffrey L. Poet, faculty project mentor)
A Birds Eye View of the P vs. NP Problem, Steven Rudich (University of Missouri-Rolla)
History of the Missouri Section of the Mathematical Association of America, Leon M. Hall (University of Missouri-Rolla)
The Mathematics of Testing & Vice Versa, John Kenelly, (Treasurer of the MAA)
Visual Representations of p-adic Numbers, Mark Pedigo (Saint Louis University)
Why Canadian Fur Trappers Should Stay in Bed When They Have the Flu: Modeling the Geographic Spread of Infectious Diseases, Lisa Sattenspiel (University of Missouri-Columbia)
· Determining if a Connected Region Is Minimal Length Cross Stitchable, Christine Blunk *, (NWSU)
· Flippin' Pancakes: An Undergraduate Synthetic Biology Research Project, Dr. Jeffrey L. Poet, (MWSU)
· Groups, Symmetry and Other Explorations with Cross Stitch, Dr. Mary D Shepherd, (NMSW)
· Some Calculus 2 Students Seem to Prefer Procedural Approaches to Exercises over Conceptual Ones, Dr. Mary D Shepherd, (NMSU)
Bourbaki Ideals: A Worked Example, Carrie Whittle*, (MSU)
Mathematical Models for Inventory, Amanda Baty *, (Drury Univ.)
On the Hartogs phenomenon, Malgorzata Aneta Marciniak, (MST)
Proofs that really count: some of my favorites, Dr. Jeffrey L. Poet (MWSU)
Symmetry Groups and Pattern Types, Renee Scott *, (NWSU)
Triumphs and Challenges in Teaching a Student to Read Mathematics, Dr. Mary Shepherd, (NMSU)
On the Hartogs-Bochner Phenomenon Malgorzata Aneta Marciniak, (MST)
An Exploration of the Cantor Set Christopher Shaver, (Rockhurst University)
* - denotes a student paper.