Application Deadlines for Priority Registration:
Fall: July 1 – Spring: November 1
Minimum Admission Requirements:
- Graduate of Associate Degree Nursing Program* or Diploma Nursing School with a minimum overall GPA of 2.7.
- Current, unencumbered RN licensure in the U.S. (Note: Recent graduates will be placed on probationary status pending obtainment of RN license.)
- Completion of the following MWSU Nursing prerequisite courses (or equivalent courses) with grade of “C” or higher:
- General Studies Math Requirement
- Anatomy & Physiology
- If these courses have not been completed prior to applying, the student may be accepted conditionally and must complete these courses with a C or higher prior to graduation.
*Graduates of ADN Program from a higher education institution with regional accreditation recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Graduates of non-accredited A.D.N. programs should contact the School of Nursing & Health Professions for additional admission requirements.
1. Apply for general admission to MWSU: Submit a degree-seeking application to MWSU Admissions Office. Apply at www.missouriwestern.edu/admissions/. Students must first apply and meet the general admission requirements to Missouri Western State University (please refer to the current University Undergraduate Catalog). Application instructions for general admission for transfer students can be found at www.missouriwestern.edu/admissions/transfer-students/.
2. Submit required documentation: Submit official transcripts from every college or university attended directly to:
Missouri Western State University
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507
3. Apply for admission to Diploma/ADN to BSN Program: Complete the application for MWSU’s Diploma/ADN to BSN program and include all required application materials.
In order to have a complete application and be considered for admission to the School of Nursing, your application must contain:
- Completed Diploma/ADN to BSN supplemental application form (link to form above)
- Unofficial college transcripts from all colleges attended and a transcript showing completion of an Associate’s Degree in Nursing.
- Copy of RN license
- Supporting statement as to why you wish to pursue a BSN.
4. Schedule an Advisement Meeting: Schedule a meeting with an MWSU Nursing academic advisor to review your transcripts and assist you in developing a study plan to complete all course requirements (including general studies and pre-requisite coursework). Contact the School of Nursing and Health Professions by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a date & time to meet. Meetings can take place in-person or with video chat technology.
Tuition and Fees:
Information regarding current tuition and fees can be found at www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice/tuition/.
Griffon Rate tuition information (for out-of-state undergraduate students in 18 other states) can be found at www.missouriwestern.edu/admissions/griffon-rate/.
Tuition discounts are available for North Kansas City Hospital, Liberty Hospital, Truman Medical Center and Mosaic Life Care employees.
- You must be eligible to lawfully gain employment in the U.S.A.
- Completion of MWSU’s General Studies course requirements (or equivalents), Nursing prerequisite courses (or equivalents), and BSN coursework is required prior to graduation with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing from Missouri Western State University.
- Students must earn a minimum of 120 credit hours (100 level and above) for degree completion.
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper division coursework.
- Students must earn 30 of the last 45 credit hours at MWSU.
- Criminal background checks are required prior to beginning the Senior Capstone Clinical portion of the program in order to meet contractual obligations with clinical agencies (pursuant to Missouri Revised Statues Chapter 660.317.) An applicant who has been found guilty of a Class A or B Felony would not be allowed to participate in clinical nursing courses; therefore would not be able to complete nursing degree requirements. Some clinical agencies have more stringent requirements.
Are you ready to declare this major? Download, sign and submit the form(s) to the nursing department.
- Major: Nursing- RN to BSN
Mapping your degree plan is important. Consult with your academic advisor to create a plan and monitor it regularly.