Nurse Scholars / Early Acceptance Program
Early acceptance into MWSU’s BSN Pre-Licensure program is available for high school seniors and MWSU freshmen with superior academic achievement. Students who are granted early acceptance are then designated as “Nursing Scholars”. These students are eligible to participate in special programs and activities within the Department of Nursing. They are also eligible for some departmental scholarships.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS FOR EARLY ACCEPTANCE PROGRAM:
High School Seniors (must meet all of the following criteria):
- Minimum ACT Composite score of 24
- Rank in top 20% of their high school graduating class
- High school cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above (on a 4.0 scale)
- Admitted to MWSU
MWSU Freshmen (must meet all of the following criteria):
- Currently enrolled at MWSU
- Completed first college semester as a freshman with a minimum of 14 credit hours including 1 lab science class with a grade of “B” or better (14 credit hours cannot include dual credit, transfer credit, or developmental coursework).
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above
APPLICATION DEADLINES & INSTRUCTIONS FOR EARLY ACCEPTANCE PROGRAM:
A completed application packet including all supplemental materials (see checklist below) must be received by MWSU Nursing by the following deadlines:
- High School Seniors: August 1 following graduation
- MWSU Freshman: January 15 or August 15 following completion of the applicant’s first semester at MWSU
- Apply for general admission to MWSU at: https://www.missouriwestern.edu/admissions/
- Complete the Nursing Scholars Program Application
- Write & include a personal essay addressing the topic “why I should be accepted to MWSU’s BSN program”.
- Include transcripts from ALL schools attended (high school and college(s) where dual credit courses were completed)
- Include copy of ACT scores
- Include copy of your class schedule for the current semester (MWSU Freshmen candidates only)
- Include a $30.00 non-refundable application fee
Submit the application and all supplemental application materials to:
Missouri Western State University
Department of Nursing
4525 Downs Drive
St. Joseph, MO 64507
Applicants will be notified by mail of their admission status once all applications have been reviewed.