Application Process and Deadlines (BSN Pre-Licensure Program)
All applicants for the BSN Pre-Licensure program at MWSU who meet the minimum published criteria (see Admission Requirements) are encouraged to apply by the stated deadlines below.
Admission is competitive, therefore, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission. General admission to the University does not admit a student to the baccalaureate degree program in nursing. Admission decisions for the BSN Pre-licensure program are based on cumulative GPA for ALL completed coursework with consideration given to the overall admission packet, including prerequisite coursework, previous degrees, personal essay statement and healthcare experience. Special consideration is given to prerequisite coursework in General Biology, Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry and Math as these courses are highly predictive of success in nursing coursework. Patterns of repeated coursework and course failures are also considered for admission decisions.
Follow the steps below to successfully apply for the BSN Pre-Licensure Program. Current MWSU students will skip step two.
Submit an Application to MWSU’s BSN Pre-Licensure Program
Applications are submitted electronically through NursingCAS. At the NursingCAS website, applicants will select “Application Instructions” to begin. Note: Please review the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) section to obtain detailed instructions before beginning the NursingCAS application. Applications submitted through NursingCAS are valid for one (1) year. After one year, applications can be resubmitted for consideration, but applicants will be required to pay a new application fee.
Complete the following sections within the application: Applicant information, Education, Professional experience (include healthcare experience in this section), Personal statement and Program designation.
- Print a Transcript Request Form (found in the Education section) for each school that you have attended and request official transcripts be sent directly to NursingCAS from the school. This form must accompany all transcripts sent to NursingCAS. Important: All official transcripts must be received by NursingCAS before your application will be verified and forwarded to MWSU for review.
- Upload a personal essay statement to your application. Criteria for the personal essay statement are: “Provide a personal statement that is between 200-250 words. This statement should provide a rationale as to why you should be accepted to the MWSU nursing program. Also describe how you will make an impact on the profession of nursing.”
- Upload a current resume.
- References are not required for an application to MWSU’s BSN program. Applicants do not need to complete this section.
- Applications will be accepted until 9:59 pm on the specified deadline dates (listed below).
Submit a MWSU Admissions Application
- Submit a degree-seeking transfer application to the MWSU Admissions Office. For questions regarding undergraduate admissions (including MWSU deadlines), please call (816) 271-4266 or check the website. Students must be admitted to MWSU in order to be considered for the BSN Pre-Licensure program.
Submit required documentation
- Submit official transcripts from every college or university attended directly to NursingCAS and to the MWSU Admissions Office, 4525 Downs Drive, Eder Hall 101, St. Joseph, MO 64507. Transcripts will not be considered until they are received, opened, and processed in the system by the Admissions Office. The MWSU Admissions will decide what course work is transferable to the University.
Complete or plan to complete all general education and pre-requisite coursework prior to beginning the BSN program at MWSU.
- The MWSU Department of Nursing can only consider applicants who meet all the minimum criteria, which includes the completion of general education and pre-requisite coursework prior to the beginning of the term in which you have applied. Please review the BSN Pre-Licensure program admission requirements.
MWSU’s Department of Nursing typically accepts 50 students into the BSN Pre-Licensure program twice per year in the fall and spring semesters. The application deadlines for applications to the BSN Pre-licensure program and for general admission to MWSU are listed below:
|Term||Application Deadlines – BSN||Application Deadlines – MWSU|
|Spring 2016||July 31, 2015||August 1, 2015|
|Fall 2016||January 15, 2016||Contact MWSU Admissions Office|