Admission Requirements (Pre-Licensure BSN)
Students entering Missouri Western State University as freshmen or by transfer should declare pre-nursing as their major. Students will then be assigned to an academic advisor in the Nursing Department who will help them plan courses to prepare to apply for admission to the BSN program.
Admission to the BSN program is competitive, therefore, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission criteria includes completion of MWSU’s General Studies course requirements, completion of all Nursing prerequisites (with a grade of “C” or better) as well as other additional requirements listed below. Each candidate is evaluated by a process established in accordance with guidelines of the Department of Nursing’s APG Committee. The Department of Nursing reserves the right to select among all qualified candidates. Admission decisions are typically issued in March for fall semester nursing classes and in October for spring semester nursing classes.
Application Deadlines: January 15th for fall semester; July 31st for spring semester. Applications will be accepted until 9:59 pm on the specified deadline dates.
- A minimum of a 2.7 cumulative grade-point average in all college coursework is required at the time of application.
- All nursing prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. If not completed, courses must be planned for the upcoming semester to be eligible for consideration. All coursework (General Studies & Nursing prerequisites) must be completed prior to the beginning of the first semester of the nursing program.
- All official college transcripts must be submitted to NursingCAS and to MWSU Admissions. It is the student’s responsibility to request ALL official transcripts from other universities and colleges and to ensure that all official transcripts are received in order to be fully considered for admission to the nursing program. Note: Current MWSU students must send an official MWSU transcript to NursingCAS only. Current MWSU students are not required to re-submit official college transcripts to the MWSU Admissions Office.
- A personal essay is required and must be entered in your NursingCAS application. Criteria for the personal essay statement are: “Provide a personal statement that is between 250-300 words. This statement should provide a rationale as to why you should be accepted to the MWSU nursing program. Also describe how you will make an impact on the profession of nursing.”
- References are not required.
- Links to the NursingCAS application system and to MWSU Admissions, along with further instructions are online at https://www.missouriwestern.edu/nursing/bsn-licensure/application-process-bsn-pre-licensure-program/. A $45 application fee is required to apply to NursingCAS. Your application must be complete and verified by NursingCAS to be fully considered for admission to MWSU’s Nursing program.
Tuition and Fees:
Information regarding current tuition and fees can be found at: http://www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice. Additional fees for Nursing (NUR) courses will apply.
Griffon Rate tuition information (for out-of-state students who live in bordering counties) can be found at: http://www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice/griffonrate/.
- Completion of MWSU”s General Studies course requirements (or equivalents), Nursing pre-requisite courses (or equivalents), and BSN coursework is required prior to graduation with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing from Missouri Western State University.
- Students must earn a minimum of 124 credit hours (100 level and above) for degree completion.
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper division coursework (300 level and above).
- Eligibility for licensure. Completion of the program does not guarantee eligibility to take the RN licensure examination (NCLEX). Refer to the Nurse Practice Act in the state in which you anticipate licensure. In Missouri, refer to Sections 335.046 and 335.066 (www.ecodev.state.mo.us/pr/nursing).