Admission Requirements (Pre-Licensure BSN)
Students entering Missouri Western State University as freshmen or by transfer should declare pre-nursing as their major. Students will then be assigned to an academic advisor in the School of Nursing who will help them plan courses to prepare to apply for admission to the BSN program.
Admission to the BSN program is competitive, therefore, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admission to the program. Admission criteria includes completion of MWSU’s General Studies course requirements, completion of all Nursing prerequisites (with a grade of “C” or better), the TEAS exam as well as other additional requirements listed below. Each candidate is evaluated by a process established in accordance with guidelines of the School of Nursing’s APG Committee. The School of Nursing and Health Professions reserves the right to select among all qualified candidates. Admission decisions are typically issued in March for fall semester nursing classes and in October for spring semester nursing classes.
Application Deadlines: January 15th for fall semester; July 31st for spring semester. Applications will be accepted until 9:59 pm on the specified deadline dates.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher: Applicants must have a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.7 or higher to be considered for admission.
- Test of Essential Academic Skills (ATI TEAS) score of 58.7% (academic preparedness category of proficient) or above is required. TEAS tests taken within the past 3 years from date of application will be valid. Potential applicants may take the TEAS a total of 2 times per calendar year (January 1-December 31).
- Completion of MWSU’s General Studies requirements and MWSU Nursing prerequisite courses: All coursework (General Studies & Nursing prerequisites) must be completed prior to the beginning of the term for which you are applying. Specifically, all nursing prerequisite courses must be completed with a grade of “C” or better. In your application, be sure to include courses that are planned for the upcoming semester.
- Submit an application for admission to MWSU: Students, who are not already accepted to MWSU, must submit an application for admission to MWSU. Admission to MWSU is a requirement for admission to the BSN program. For questions regarding undergraduate admissions (including application deadlines) please call 816-271-4266 (toll free 800-662-7041) or visit the admissions website.
- Submit official college transcripts to MWSU: Official transcripts from every college or university that you have attended must be submitted directly to MWSU Admissions. Your application will not be reviewed until official transcripts are received and processed by the general admissions office. Current MWSU Students (please note): If you are currently enrolled at MWSU, you do not need to re-submit official transcripts to MWSU Admissions if they are already on file.
- Submit unofficial transcripts in NursingCAS: Unofficial transcripts from every college or university that you have attended must be uploaded in NursingCAS.
- Personal Essay Statement: A personal essay is required and must be entered in your NursingCAS application. Criteria for the personal essay statement are: “Provide a personal statement that is between 250-300 words. This statement should provide a rationale as to why you should be accepted to the MWSU nursing program. Also describe how you will make an impact on the profession of nursing.”
- References are not required.
- Links to the NursingCAS application system and to MWSU Admissions, along with further instructions are online at https://www.missouriwestern.edu/nursing/bsn-licensure/application-process-bsn-pre-licensure-program/. A $45 application fee is required to apply to NursingCAS. Your application must be complete and verified by NursingCAS to be fully considered for admission to MWSU’s Nursing program.
Tuition and Fees:
Information regarding current tuition and fees can be found at: http://www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice. Additional fees for Nursing (NUR) courses will apply.
Griffon Rate tuition information (for out-of-state students who live in bordering counties) can be found at: http://www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice/griffonrate/.
- Completion of MWSU’s General Studies course requirements (or equivalents), Nursing prerequisite courses (or equivalents), and BSN coursework is required prior to graduation with a Bachelor of Science Degree in Nursing from Missouri Western State University.
- Students must earn a minimum of 124 credit hours (100 level and above) for degree completion.
- Students must earn a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper division coursework (300 level and above).
- Eligibility for licensure. Completion of the program does not guarantee eligibility to take the RN licensure examination (NCLEX). Refer to the Nurse Practice Act in the state in which you anticipate licensure. In Missouri, refer to Sections 335.046 and 335.066 (www.ecodev.state.mo.us/pr/nursing).
Title IX, 504/ADA
In keeping with the requirements of Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 in regard to sex discrimination and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 in regard to handicap discrimination as well as other applicable federal and state laws, Missouri Western State University follows a policy of nondiscrimination and equal opportunity in regard to all employment practices and to all educational programs and activities including financial aid, recruitment, admission, housing, and placement. Inquiries regarding the application of these laws may be submitted to the Title IX, 504/ADA Coordinator, Administration Building, Room 117, (816) 271-4330.