The Department of Music provides a curriculum for the training of musicians and music educators. It is primarily concerned with improving the skills and disciplining the talents of music majors. The department also offers courses and activities for all college students to enhance their appreciation and understanding of music. Students are encouraged to broaden their contact with music by attending the many cultural programs in St. Joseph and area concert halls and by participating in programs by student musicians.
The departments offers six majors within the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), Bachelor of Music (B.M.), and Bachelor of Music in Education degrees (B.M.E.):
- Music (B.A.)
- Music/Business Concentration (B.M.)
- Music/Music Technology Concentration (B.M.)
- Music/Instrumental Concentration (B.M.E.)
- Music/Vocal (Applied Voice) (B.M.E.)
- Music/Vocal (Applied Piano or Organ) (B.M.E.)