January 7 - January 10
Attendance and participation is mandatory; failure to participate in all required sessions may delay course registration, missed critical and useful information. Make-up session is not available.
Day/Date: Tuesday, January 7. Come to Blum Union, Room 210 (2nd floor). Plan to arrive as early as 8:45 AM for student check-in procedure.
Bring: Original passport, original I-20 or DS-2019, passport, and letter of admission. Also, bring pen/pencil to write, and local mailing/physical address information.
Typical Agenda for the Week:
- Tuesday – Immigration document check, health immunizations, set-up free wi-fi on campus, obtain student ID card, open bank account, and student health insurance resources. Free transportation for personal shopping trip at local stores and Wal-Mart (bring money).
- Wednesday – Workshops and discussion regarding scholarship application, immigration status,and how to arrange University tuition/fees payment. Placement tests for undergraduate students.
- Thursday – Student panel discussion regarding on-campus employment opportunities and applying for Social Security number/card.Campus walking tour, and university resources scavenger hunt. Also, workshop on free public transportation in St Joseph, and self-guided group tours of the city.
- Undergraduate/Bachelor students take placement tests, and/or meet academic advisor for advisement and class registration.
- Graduate/Master students Orientation with the Interim Graduate Dean, Dr. Susan Bashinski.
- Friday – Group discussion regarding personal safety and security, Title IX responsibility, University police and security support service, library resources, academic integrity and classroom expectations. Welcome luncheon with University President, faculty and staff.
- Saturday and Sunday – Free days to explore, discover or rest!
- Monday, January 13 – Classes begin.