International Center

Curricular Practical Training

How to apply to Curricular Practical Training:

  • Students with F-1 visas can apply for Curricular Practical Training (CPT) to gain off-campus internships.
  • This internship should be in your major field and connected to the courses you are taking.
  • You are eligible to apply for CPT if you have studied at MWSU for at least one year.
  • To apply or if you have questions, make an appointment or come see Fumi Cheever at ISS office.
  • If you do not have an I-20 that authorizes you for CPT, you cannot do an internship off campus.   Do NOT work even one day before being authorized for CPT.  Doing so will jeopardize your immigration status.
  • If you want to apply for CPT, please read the CPT form carefully, collect the required documents, including an employment offer letter and the CPT form signed by your academic adviser.  When the CPT approved by U.S. Custom and Immigration Services (USCIS), you will receive a new I-20 that authorizes you to work off campus