Bring from home
What to bring from home
Bring what you can comfortable carry in your suitcases, or personal carry-on. The recommended items are:
- Original immigration documents such as passport, I-20 or DS-2019, proof of financial support AND the admission letter. Carry these documentations in your bag when you travel to the United States. Do NOT put in your check-in luggage!
- Some cash around $500 and/or credit card or bank card to get you through the first few days.
- Bring bank draft in the U.S. currency payable to Missouri Western State University to pay for the necessary tuition/fees for the first semester. For your safety during travel, we do not recommend bringing large amount of cash.
- Clothing appropriate for the season. In August, student need clothes for hot, humid weather. However, January winter month require winter coat, gloves, neck scarf, winter hat, and shoes. Find out the the current temperature in St Joseph, Missouri, USA (choose Celsius or Fahrenheit appropriately.)
- Toiletries: travel size shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste.
- Food: bring snacks to have on hand during the long flight and until you can go to the dining hall or market. And if you like to cook, remember to bring spices to remind you of home!
- Medicine: Bring prescribed and/or over the counter medication from home country. If you have a doctor’s prescription, bring the official documentation with the generic name so you may continue to purchase it from the local pharmacy. Local pharmacy is generally available at CVS, Walgreen or Walmart.
- Alarm clock
Also, the following bulky but necessary items may easily be purchased in the city of Saint Joseph. For example:
- Bedding (pillow, blanket, bedsheets, etc.), and towels.
- Laundry basket, and soap/detergent to wash clothes.
- Clothes: pants, jeans, t-shirt, underclothes, sweater, winter coat, etc.
- Toiletries: regular size shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothbrush, and toothpaste.
- Office or school supplies: pens, paper, notebook, etc.
- Computer, laptop, radio, cell/mobile phone, and other electronics.
- Dishes/cooking utensils, bed, and furniture (for those living off-campus)
Revised: January 22, 2018