Visa application processes can be a little stressful and confusing. Therefore, our trained and experienced student immigration officer is ready to meet students in a virtual meeting room. We will discuss the general visa application process and expectations on the following:
Fumi Cheever, Assistant Director, explains SEVIS and student visa application processes and expectations. The process can be intimidating and stressful, but as former international student and current advisor with over 5 years experience, Fumi is happy to demonstrate useful and helpful tips. Also learn what to expect during visa interview and review this important information.
IMPORTANT: Students should be prepared to begin the visa application at the closest U.S. Embassy or Consulate without delay. The general guidelines is as follows:
- Sign and date page 1 of the I-20 document, or DS-2019 form from Missouri Western State University. Bring original document to the interview.
- Contact U.S. Consulate to schedule for an appointment for visa interview.
- Prepare for your Visa Appointment. See important guidelines.
- Collect all necessary documentations and BRING to the interview:
- Passport must be valid for at least six months at any point of your studies in the U.S.
- Proof of SEVIS I-901 payment
- Original financial supporting documentations showing proof of funding for your studies.
- Other University application materials such as the TOEFL or IELTS test score, official academic transcript or degree certificate, etc.
- Combination of documentations that shows strong ties to home country. For example, official copy of bank statement showing account balance, parents with proof of stable source of income, marriage certificate, properties, and real estates.
During the visa interview be prepared to:
- Show proof of any documentations, when asked. Bring more supporting documents than is needed.
- Discuss and explain your personal interest in the major or degree program.
- Provide the compelling reasons you have chosen to enroll at Missouri Western State University. For example, you find the admission office staff was very helpful, nice and friendly people, safe and welcoming environment, or your family can afford the tuition cost, or because of the scholarship, etc.
- Talk about you, your family, and your educational aspiration in a short and concise summary.
- The best advice from current international students are to be answer truthfully, be yourself and be authentic!
The PORT OF ENTRY into the United States is generally the first international airport for flights coming from overseas. It typically has a staff of officials who check passports and visas, and inspect luggage for your safety and security. Prepare your documents for travel to present to the Border Patrol officer at the Port of Entry. Keep the documents in your hand luggage or shoulder bag; do NOT put them in your checked baggage or luggage!
- MWSU original I-20, or DS-2019 form
- MWSU admissions letter
- A valid passport
- Financial documentation, and/or proof of transfer of funds
- A copy of the SEVIS fee payment receipt
- If available, paper copy of MWSU classes schedule
Questions? Send email to Ms. Fumi Cheever at firstname.lastname@example.org