All International students must provide an official transcript in English or an English translation. If we are unable to evaluate your transcript we reserve to right to require a course by course evaluation from a NACES accredited evaluation provider such as WES. Payment for external evaluation will be the applicant’s responsibility.
All international students must provide evidence of visa status and F-visa students must have an I-20 form on file with the Admissions Office.
Students are encouraged to work with the International Student Coordinator for assistance with Visas and any other questions.
English Language Requirements
Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must demonstrate proficiency with the English language. Minimum test scores for TOEFL and IELTS listed below.
Student who possess a baccalaureate degree from a college or university in which instruction is given in English are exempt from this requirement. Tests taken more than two (2) years prior to the date of application cannot be accepted.
Missouri Western reserves the right to assess the quality of your English in addition to your TOEFL/IELTS scores (even if you come from an English speaking country).
Fall 2017 (August)…………………………………May 15
Spring 2018 (January)…………………………October 15
NOTE: International students have earlier application deadlines because of the need to secure a visa. July 15th is the absolute latest date to apply for Fall admission. November 1st is the latest date for January admission.
All required documents must be submitted by these deadlines to allow adequate time for review by the Admissions Office staff and graduate program admission committees. Many graduate programs have additional requirements for materials that also need to be submitted directly to the Program Director for each graduate program. Please check here for program specific requirements.
We highly recommend applying for admission as early as possible in order to receive your Form I-20 document. Then apply for your student visa as early as 90 days prior to the expected arrival date at the university.
International students may apply for online programs but must must participate inthos programs from their home country. and are not eligible for a student visa.
Students are only required to complete ONE of the following English proficiency exams.
Use code: 6625 for automatic submission of your TOEFL results.
Some programs require submission of GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores (See specific program requirements here). Use code 1434 to submit your GRE scores automatically.
Some programs require submission of GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores (See specific program requirements here ). Use code 937 to submit your GMAT scores automatically.
INTERNATIONAL EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Missouri Western is committed to the pursuit of excellence and attracting the most promising international students to our classrooms. That is why we have established the International Excellence Scholarship to recruit the best and brightest students from around the world.
ABOUT THE EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIPS:
- The award(s) is automatically applied towards student’s cost of tuition when enrolled at Missouri Western State University’s St. Joseph campus.
- The Global Griffon Award may not be combined with other Missouri Western awards, such as the Golden Griffon, President’s, Governors’, Deans’ or the IB program. If a student meets multiple scholarship award criteria, he/she may qualify for one highest award category.
- Students must maintain full-time, continuous enrollment at Missouri Western, and pay non-resident tuition. Students will receive an extensive session/seminar on how to maintain or keep the award for their entire degree.
- A student is no longer eligible for the International Excellence Scholarship if he/she receives scholarships from a foreign government-sponsored student program or from a Missouri Western athletic scholarship.
- The International Excellence awards are automatic with general application to the University. All awards are contingent upon the availability of funds. When the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of scholarships to be awarded, recipients will be selected on a competitive basis at the discretion of the University.
To see if you qualify for our Excellence Scholarships, click here or review the chart below.
Students on F-1 and J-1 student visas have certain academic and credit hour requirements they must comply with to stay legal. Please review the document below before advising international students. If you have any questions, please contact the International Center.
In order to comply with Missouri Statute 170.012, Missouri Western policy is that graduate students whose primary language is not English are not allowed to be instructors in any courses during the first semester of study.
Out of State Tuition
All students attending on a F class student visa are required to pay out-of-state tuition and are not eligible to file a petition for in-state status.