All foreign nation students must provide evidence of visa status and F-visa students must have an I-20 form on file with the Admissions Office.
Students are encouraged to work with the International Student Coordinator for assistance with Visas and any other questions.
All international transcripts must be evaluated by WES.
English Language Requirements
Applicants who are non-native speakers of English must provide proof of English language proficiency for full regular admission consideration. Students who meet all regular program requirements will be granted full-time admission if the student completes the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 79 on the internet-based test or earns a 6.0 academic IELTS score. Students who possess a baccalaureate or master’s degree from a U.S. institution of higher education will be exempt from the language requirement. Tests taken more than two (2) years prior to the date of application cannot be accepted.
Missouri Western reserves the right to assess the quality of your English in addition to your TOEFL/IELTS scores (even if you come from an English speaking country). If you have not completed the TOEFL or IELTS exam (OR if you do not meet the above criteria), you may be admitted conditionally through the Intensive English Program (IEP) if necessary.
NOTE: International students have earlier application deadlines because of the need to secure a visa. July 15th is the absolute latest date to apply for Fall admission. November 1st is the latest date for January admission. All required documents must be submitted by these deadlines to allow adequate time for review by the Admissions Office staff and graduate program admission committees. We highly recommend applying for admission as early as possible in order to receive your Form I-20 document. Then apply for your student visa as early as 90 days prior to the expected arrival date at the university.
International students are also not eligible for a Visa for online programs, however, you can take the online programs from your native country.
Students are only required to complete ONE of the following English proficiency exams.
Use code: 6625 for automatic submission of your TOEFL results.
Some programs require submission of GRE (Graduate Record Exam) scores (See specific program requirements here). Use code 1434 to submit your GRE scores automatically.
Some programs require submission of GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test) scores (See specific program requirements here ). Use code 937 to submit your GMAT scores automatically.
INTERNATIONAL EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIPS
Missouri Western is committed to the pursuit of excellence and attracting the most promising international students to our classrooms. That is why we have established the International Excellence Scholarship to recruit the best and brightest students from around the world.
ABOUT THE EXCELLENCE SCHOLARSHIPS:
- The award(s) is automatically applied towards student’s cost of tuition when enrolled at Missouri Western State University’s St. Joseph campus.
- The Global Griffon Award may not be combined with other Missouri Western awards, such as the Golden Griffon, President’s, Governors’, Deans’ or the IB program. If a student meets multiple scholarship award criteria, he/she may qualify for one highest award category.
- Students must maintain full-time, continuous enrollment at Missouri Western, and pay non-resident tuition. Students will receive an extensive session/seminar on how to maintain or keep the award for their entire degree.
- A student is no longer eligible for the International Excellence Scholarship if he/she receives scholarships from a foreign government-sponsored student program or from a Missouri Western athletic scholarship.
- The International Excellence awards are automatic with general application to the University. All awards are contingent upon the availability of funds. When the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of scholarships to be awarded, recipients will be selected on a competitive basis at the discretion of the University.
To see if you qualify for our Excellence Scholarships, click here or review the chart below.
Students on F-1 and J-1 student visas have certain academic and credit hour requirements they must comply with to stay legal. Please review the document below before advising international students. If you have any questions, please contact International Student Services.
In order to comply with Missouri Statute 170.012, Missouri Western policy is that graduate students whose primary language is not English are not allowed to be instructors in any courses during the first semester of study.
Out of State Tuition
All students attending on a F class student visa are required to pay out-of-state tuition and are not eligible to file a petition for in-state status.