Many alumni and friends of the university have provided much needed support for students who may not have been able to afford a college education without additional assistance. There are two options available for establishing a scholarship at Missouri Western:
Named Endowed Scholarship
- A permanent and perpetual scholarship fund.
- Established with a gift or gifts totaling at least $10,000.
- Donors are given a period of two years from the date of the first donation to fulfill the $10,000 requirement.
- Endowed funds are invested to produce income. The amount distributed annually is limited to a percentage of the sum of the endowed principal, accumulated interest and dividend earnings and realized/unrealized capital gains/losses.
- Disbursements from the endowed fund will be made annually in accordance with the Foundation’s policies governing the management and administration of endowed funds. These policies are reviewed annually and are subject to change. Current policies limit distributions to four (4) percent of the fund’s balance (sum of the endowed principal, accumulated interest and dividend earnings and realized/unrealized capital gains/losses). The Foundation assesses an administrative fee of one (1) percent of the fund’s balance. These distributions are based on the stated percentages applied to the average balance in the account at the close of the past three calendar years. The Board of Directors will adjust these percentages and/or other practices and policies as is deemed prudent due to economic and other environmental factors.
- If the $10,000 requirement is not met by the end of the two-year period, the scholarship funds received are allocated to the Western Advantage Scholarship Fund.
Named Annual Scholarship
- A temporary, restricted fund (not permanent).
- Established with a written pledge of a minimum of $1,000 per year for at least four years.
- One hundred percent of the principal is awarded to a recipient or recipients over a specific period of time.
- Any earnings on the fund are placed in the MWSU Foundation’s general fund.
The Development staff can help you determine the criteria that each scholarship applicant must meet in order to comply with your intentions. Reviewing the Scholarship Criteria Form is a good place to start when considering specific qualifications you may want to require of scholarship recipients.