Missouri Western Scholarship Guidelines
General Requirements and Guidelines
- To be eligible for scholarships, students must be seeking a degree from Missouri Western State University.
- The deadline to apply for Missouri Western and Foundation competitive scholarships is February 1st each year.
- Incoming students must be admitted to the University by July 1st to be eligible for non-competitive renewable scholarships. Scholarships may be awarded after July 1st on a competitive basis if funding is available.
- The University determines the number of scholarships awarded each year by scholarship category. All awards are contingent upon the availability of funds.When the number of qualified applicants exceeds the number of scholarships to be awarded, recipients will be selected on a competitive basis at the discretion of the University.
- Application for non-renewable scholarships must be made annually to the University.
- Gold level scholarships may not be combined with other Gold level scholarships. Gold Scholarships include: Golden Griffon, President’s Academic, Governors’ Academic, Deans’ Academic, GED /HiSet, Griffon Scholar, Phi Theta Kappa, President’s Transfer, Governors’ Transfer and Deans’ Transfer.
- Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to receive institutional scholarships.
Enrollment Requirements and Guidelines
- Unless noted otherwise in the scholarship description, institutional scholarships are awarded only to students who are enrolled in 12 or more credit hours per semester at Missouri Western (excluding CED courses and audited courses).
- Students enrolled at another institution through an authorized consortium agreement will be required to submit a letter of appeal to the Executive Scholarship Committee. If the Executive Scholarship Committee deems it appropriate to approve the appeal due to circumstances beyond the student’s control, the scholarship award will be prorated based upon the student’s enrollment at Missouri Western.
- A student in his or her final year of study may be allowed to enroll on a part-time basis. Students seeking consideration must submit a letter of appeal to the Executive Scholarship Committee. If the Executive Scholarship Committee approves the appeal, the scholarship award will be prorated based upon the student’s enrollment.
Renewable Scholarship Requirements and Guidelines
- Renewable scholarships awarded to incoming freshmen are valid for eight semesters provided all requirements are met each semester. Renewable scholarships awarded to transfer students are valid for six semesters (unless otherwise stated in the scholarship description). The semesters need not be consecutive but must be completed within six years of the student’s first, full-time semester at Missouri Western (excluding summer semesters).
- Students must successfully complete a minimum of 24 credit hours per academic year to be considered for renewal.
- Eligibility for renewable scholarships will be reviewed at the end of each semester. A student may be granted a probationary semester if he or she earns a minimum overall GPA of 2.50 at the end of the fall semester. Students must attain the published renewal criteria at the end of the spring semester to be considered for renewal during the next academic year.
- Scholarship GPA criterion is based on a 4.0 scale.
- Full-time students who lose eligibility for renewable scholarships may regain eligibility once the student reestablishes the required GPA for the scholarship. (Students will be limited to one reinstatement.) Eligible students must submit a letter of reinstatement to the Financial Aid Office.
Direct Cost Rule
- The combined total of Missouri Western and Foundation scholarships may not exceed the recipient’s actual charges for tuition and related fees, course-related fees, admissions fees, campus housing and meal plan costs. No portion of Missouri Western and Foundation scholarship funds may be disbursed to the recipient in the form of cash or a ‘credit balance’ check. Scholarships specifically allocated for the payment of book costs will be exempt from this policy. A student with documentable circumstances beyond his or her control or personal choice will have the option to appeal this rule. Contact the Financial Aid Office of additional information.
Scholarships That Require On-Campus Housing
- Recipients of Missouri Western scholarships that require on-campus housing will be allowed to reside off-campus for the period of one academic semester to fulfill an academic requirement or to participate in an academic opportunity (i.e. study abroad, student teaching or internship). The total value of Missouri Western and Foundation scholarships will be limited to the student’s actual Missouri Western charges for tuition and fees (including courses related fees). Eligible students are asked to submit a letter of intent to the Financial Aid Office.
Treatment of Scholarships When a Student Withdraws During the Semester
- Missouri Western scholarships will be prorated or cancelled if a student completely withdraws and receives a refund in accordance with the University’s refund policy.