Dual Credit

Home School

Eligible home school students may take dual credit courses through Missouri Western.

Students may enroll in approved on-campus courses or take approved online courses.

The course schedule may be accessed here.

Student eligibility information:
  • Dual credit is open to juniors and seniors. Freshmen and sophomores may qualify with an ACT or SAT composite score at or above the 90th percentile.
  • Students must have a cumulative 3.0 grade point average based on a 4.0 scale. A notarized high school transcript must be provided verifying the student meets this requirement.
  • Students must meet any course prerequisites.
  • Students must be recommended by the home school proctor.
  • A copy of a birth certificate must be provided verifying the student is at least 16 years of age.


What are the advantages of enrolling as a dual credit student?
Previously, home school students had to enroll as visiting high school students and pay regular tuition. Now students can enroll as dual credit students and receive reduced-rate tuition of $95.00 per credit hour. Students will have a one-time registration fee of $15.00. Students will have to purchase their textbooks and ancillary materials.
What courses may my student enroll in?
General studies and most lower-level coursework. Prerequisites will apply. Private lessons are not eligible for dual credit.
How does my student qualify?

Requirements are:

  • Cumulative 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale)
  • 16 years of age
  • High school junior or senior
  • Freshmen and sophomores may qualify if they have scored in the 90th percentile on the ACT test.

At the time of enrollment, students must provide a notarized high school transcript verifying that they have a cumulative 3.0 GPA based on a 4.0 GPA scale, a copy of their birth certificate and a completed enrollment addendum signed by the Home School Proctor verifying that the student is recommended for a dual credit course.

When can home school students enroll?
Registration dates are announced by the Western Institute. Registration is always before Walk-In Registration. If you sign up for the mailing list, a flier with registration information will be mailed to you. You can sign up for the mailing list by contacting Laura Sapp at sapp@missouriwestern.edu or (816) 271-4130. You can also click here to download and print the flier.
What is the payment process for home school students taking dual credit?
Billing due dates/payment plans will follow the same deadlines as regular college students. Information can be found on the Business Office website located at https://www.missouriwestern.edu/businessoffice/
Where can I find a class schedule and course information?
The class schedule can be found at https://www.missouriwestern.edu/schedule. The course catalog can be found at https://www.missouriwestern.edu/catalog.
Please Note:

FERPA regulations require that once the student is enrolled in college coursework, all communication from Missouri Western be with the student. The student may complete a Federal Buckley Amendment Release form granting Missouri Western permission to communicate with a designated individual.

The student will attend classes without the accompaniment of a parent or guardian. Requests for exemption from this release form policy (e.g., due to specific disabilities) should be addressed to the Dean of the Western Institute. The release form can be obtained by contacting the Western Institute at (816) 271-4100.