At Missouri Western State University the arts are an essential part of the University’s mission, with an important role in the academic curriculum, extra-curricular life of students, overall development of all students, and contribution to the general quality of life in the regional community. Missouri Western is focusing on the further development of its arts programs and their role in the life of the University and regional community.
The goals of the Missouri Western Arts Society are to provide financial resources that supplement the annual budgets of arts programs, encourage attendance at performances and exhibitions, and help spread the reputation of the University’s arts programs. Members are individuals and organizations that desire to assist in the achievement of these goals.
- Enrichment of the arts curricula
- Expanded performance and exhibition opportunities for students
- Technological and artistic support
Levels of membership
• Medici Circle (gift of $1,000 or more) – named in honor of the Italian Medici family, financiers
of Renaissance artists
• Beethoven Circle (gift of $500 to $999) – named in honor of the German composer Ludwig
van Beethoven, 1770-1827
• da Vinci Circle (gift of $250 to $499) – named in honor of the Italian artist Leonardo da Vinci,
• Shakespeare Circle (gift of $100 to $249) – named in honor of the English playwright William
Members of the Missouri Western Arts Society receive the following benefits:
• Members will be listed in the Missouri Western Foundation’s annual report and other publications
• Members will be acknowledged at performances and exhibitions in a manner suitable to the specific event
• Members will be invited to a members-only annual meeting with entertainment provided by our talented faculty and students
• Members will be given the opportunity to join group outings to Broadway shows, the Lyric Opera, art museums and other arts activities in the area
• Members will receive the Missouri Western Arts Society newsletter
* 10% of the funds collected will be utilized to support the functions and activities that promote Missouri Western Arts Society membership.
Departments supported by the Arts Society
The Art Department offers the Bachelor of Fine Arts (Drawing, Illustration, Painting, Photo Media, Printmaking, Sculpture, Ceramics), Bachelor Fine arts in Graphic Design, Bachelor Fine Arts in Digital Animation, Bachelor of Science in Art Education, and Masters of Applied Arts in Integrated Media degrees. The department offers a minor in Art History. The gallery program, visiting artist program, and Artist Lecture Series provide opportunities for students and faculty to exhibit their work and to be exposed to the works and expertise of visiting artists.
Students may elect the Bachelor of Arts degree in Music, the Bachelor of Music in Education degree with Vocal and/or Instrumental Certification, or the Bachelor of Music with a Concentration in Business or Music Technology. Performers with advanced skills and talent may qualify for the Performance Emphasis curriculum. Minors in Music and Musical Theatre are also available. The Department offers students over twelve performance ensembles. Ensembles are open to students who are not majoring in Music, but have the talent to participate.
Theatre and Cinema Program
The Theatre and Cinema program is housed in the Department of Communication Studies, Theatre and Cinema. The Department offers the Bachelor of Science in Theatre and Video degree. The Theatre program provides students majoring in Theatre and Cinema, as well as students dramatic performance opportunities on both the large stage and black box theater.