Business Office

Federal Perkins

A Federal Perkins loan is a low-interest loan. Missouri Western State University is the lender. The loan is made with government funds with a share contributed by the school. The loan must be repaid to the school or the billing service engaged by the school as its agent to administer billing and collection functions.

  • This is a need-based loan
  • This loan may be used only for educational expenses
  • Interest on the loan does not accrue while you are in school, during your grace period, or during authorized periods of deferment.
  • The interest rate is fixed at 5 percent.
  • Repayment begins nine months after you are no longer enrolled on at least a half-time basis.
  • Minimum monthly payments required are $40.

Maximum Perkins Annual Loan Amounts: $5,500
Aggregate Loan Limits: $27,500

Awards and Disbursements

1. You must accept the award by completing the Student Federal Perkins Loan Data Sheet: Fall/Spring | Summer
2. You must sign a Federal Perkins Loan Master Promissory Note.
3. You must complete Perkins Entrance Loan Counseling.

Managing Your Perkins Loan Online – Federal Perkins Student Loan Managing online site for account review, address changes, benefits, deferments qualification, forms plus other Perkins information. – Federal Perkins online site for making ACH electronic check payments.

Service Cancellations

Upon making a properly documented written request to MWSU, you will be entitled to have up to 100 percent of the original principal loan amount canceled if you perform qualifying service in the following areas: Teaching, Early Intervention Services, Law Enforcement or Corrections Officer, Nurse or Medical Technician, Child or Family Service Agency or Head Start; or 50 percent of the principal amount of this loan canceled if you are a member of the Armed Forces of the United States in an area of hostilities that qualifies for special pay under section 310 of Title 36 of the United States Code; or 70 percent of the original principal loan amount canceled if you perform qualified services as a volunteer under the Peace Corps Act or Domestic Volunteer Service Act of 1973.


Stacey Dasta – Collections Specialist (816) 271-5625

Denece Huffman – Assistant Bursar (816) 271-5612
Sandy Allen – Collections Specialist (816) 271-4325