University of Missouri - Kansas City, School of Medicine: Medical Scholars Program
The UMKC School of Medicine offers a Medical Scholars program that would offer early and guaranteed admission to Missouri Western State University students interested in applying to medical school. This program would offer early admission into the School of Medicine’s M.D. Program for students currently in their sophomore or junior year of college.
May 1: Medical Scholars Program Application becomes available.
Current college students may apply to the program during the summer between their sophomore and junior year or junior and senior year of college.
September 1: Application deadline.
The School of Medicine Medical Scholars program application is due by this date. All supporting documents must also be postmarked by this date, including college transcripts, personal statement, resume, and letters of recommendation.
Requirements for Consideration
In order to be considered for the Medical Scholars program, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher at the end of the sophomore year.
- Earn a grade of “B” or higher in science coursework.
- Students must present a full application which will include the following:
• Medical Scholars Program Application.
• College transcript displaying grades through the point of application.
• Personal statement or essay addressing the following:
What has motivated you to study medicine? Why are you interested in the UMKC Medical Scholars program?
• Résumé or CV, highlighting specific health care experiences.
• A minimum of three letters of recommendation, including at least one from a faculty member.
Final Requirements for Students Admitted to the Medical Scholars Program
Matriculation to the UMKC School of Medicine is conditional upon meeting the following requirements:
- Earn a baccalaureate degree prior to entering the School of Medicine in January of the chosen year.
- Earn a combined MCAT score of 26 or higher.
- Earn a cumulative GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- Earn a GPA of 3.5 or higher in the following pre-requisite courses:
• A minimum 19 hours of Chemistry that includes:
• Two semesters of general chemistry with lab,
• One semester of organic chemistry,
• One semester of biochemistry (an upper level course).
• A minimum 14 hours of Biology that includes:
• One semester of general Biology with lab,
• One semester of genetics,
• One semester of cell biology.
• Students must earn a grade of “B” or above in all pre-requisite coursework.
- At graduation, provide a letter of support from an academic advisor or faculty member addressing citizenship.
- Submit to and pass a criminal background check prior to matriculation to the School of Medicine.
- Submit the School of Medicine Technical Standards sheet.
Instructions for Application
An application will NOT be reviewed until all supporting documents have been received. When all application materials have been received, the Council on Selection in the School of Medicine will review all complete applications. All application materials must be postmarked by September 1.
Students applying for admission to the School of Medicine Medical Scholars Program must submit the following documents to:
UMKC School of Medicine
Office of Admissions/Council on Selection
2411 Holmes Street
Kansas City, MO 64108
- The School of Medicine Medical Scholars Program application
- Official college transcripts
- Personal statement
- Three letters of recommendation. These should be submitted directly to the School of Medicine by professors, advisors, or others who can speak to your academic ability and personal characteristics.
After the review of all complete applications by the Council on Selection in the School of Medicine, candidates will be selected for interview. If selected for an interview, applicants will be required to be present at the date and time of the interview. All applicants invited to interview must interview in person at the School of Medicine. Phone interviews will not be permitted. After all applicants invited have been interviewed, the Council on Selection will extend offers of guaranteed admission to those candidates who best qualify for the Medical Scholars Program. Applicants will be notified in writing of the decision. Additional details and information can be obtained through the MWSU Department of Biology or at http://www.med.umkc.edu/med_admissions/Med_Scholars_Program.shtml