Please see the Student Handbook and Calendar for specific activities identified as violations of this policy and the student due process procedure. This handbook is available online at griff.vn/handbook
- Students are expected to come to class on time and prepared.
- Attendance will be recorded at every class session.
- You have 2 free absences; no explanation required (you are still responsible for turning in assignments on time.)
- Your 3rd unexcused absence will lower your grade by 10% or one full letter grade. Each subsequent unexcused absence will lower your grade an additional 10% or one letter grade.
- The equivalent of 2 weeks worth of absences will result in an automatic F (i.e. 6 classes for a course that meets M, W, F, 4 classes for a course that meets T,TH, etc.) No exceptions.
- Each tardy or early departure counts as 1/2 an absence.
- Roll call will be taken at the beginning of class only. It is your responsibility to inform the instructor that you are late; if you don't inform the instructor you will be counted absent.
- Absences will only be excused with prior notification and/or documentation.
- Arriving more than 15 minutes late or leaving more than 15 minutes early is an absence.
What is an excused absence?
There are two standard types:
- Type 1: You know ahead of time that, for good reason, you will have to miss class. Inform your instructor before the day of the absence and negotiate an excused absence, generally with some kind of appropriate written documentation.
- Type 2:Some emergency prevents you from getting to class. In this case, it 's vital that you present some formal documentation that you had good reason to be gone--e.g., You will be given an excused absence when acting as an official representative of the university, provided you give prior written verification from the faculty/staff supervisor of the event. This means that if you are a student athlete and you have an athletic event in which you represent the university – that is an excused absence. If you are representing the university at a conference by accompanying a professor or giving a presentation at that conference, then that is also excused. Treat your education with the same sense of responsibility and importance as a job: if a situation arises when you would call your manager or boss at work, then you should notify your professor by telephone or e-mail as soon as you are able. Address problems before they become overwhelming. You may reach your professors by telephone or e-mail, and they are available during office hours or arranged appointments when you need to discuss any matter regarding the course or the college. You can always speak to them before or after class, but keep in mind that for issues requiring more than a minute or two they may ask you to schedule an appointment.
You will be given an excused absence when acting as an official representative of the university, provided you give prior written verification from the faculty/staff supervisor of the event. This means that if you are a student athlete and you have an athletic event in which you represent the university – that is an excused absence. If you are representing the university at a conference by accompanying a professor or giving a presentation at that conference, then that is also excused
Building Pass Policy
- You will do no harm to any building or its contents. If any damage occurs you will report it to the Department Chairperson, faculty member, or department Administrative Assistant.
- You will clean up any mess that you make.
- You will inform MWSU Public Safety whenever you are in an art facility outside of regular MWSU working hours.
- You will not allow anyone entry into a building who does not have a Student Building Pass in their immediate possession.
- You will close doors and assure you locked all the rooms you utilized. You will not leave any door ajar so others may enter the building.
- You will use MWSU art facilities only for legitimate academic related activities.
- You will display your student Building Pass when asked by Campus Police, staff, or faculty.
- Building Passes are to be used outside of regular MWSU working hours.
- No children are allowed in the classrooms, hallways or should they be camped out at night while parents are working in the labs.