Transfer Student - Policies and Information

Missouri Western grants credit for all coursework taken from an accredited college or university; however, certain programs may have limitations on how much of that coursework will apply toward your degree at Missouri Western. The Office of Admissions will evaluate courses that are already completed upon acceptance to the University. Upon receipt of all final/official transcripts from your previous institution, a final/official evaluation of your coursework will be completed and emailed to your Missouri Western email account.


Transfer guidelines and equivalencies are available for most schools. You can use these guidelines as a reference:


Students who have completed an Associate of Arts degree (AA), a bachelors degree, or the Missouri 42-hour general education block (must be noted on the transcript or other official document) from a regionally-accredited institution, is considered to have satisfactorily completed Missouri Western’s general studies requirements. Completion of general studies requirements does not waive departmental major pre-requisites.

  • All students must earn a minimum of 124 credit hours (including 60 hours from a senior college in the following departments: Art; Biology; Chemistry; Communication & Journalism; Computer Science; Math & Physics; Economics, Political Science & Sociology; English & Modern Languages; History & Geography; Philosophy & Religion; Music; Psychology; Theater, Cinema & Dance.)
  • Earn a minimum of 30 credits in upper-division coursework (300-400 level)
  • Earn 30 of the last 45 credits at MWSU in institutional coursework


Missouri Western typically accepts transfer credit from regionally accredited institutions. However, Missouri Western does not generally accept technical or vocational credit. For concerns on whether coursework will transfer, please contact the Admissions Office at 816-271-4264.

A student has the right to appeal a denial of transfer credit at Missouri Western.

The student wishing to appeal must:

  • File a written appeal with the Admissions and Graduation Committee. (Consult Transfer Evaluation Coordinator, Eder 101).
  • Explain in writing the reason for the appeal.
  • If appealing coursework from an institution not regionally accredited, must also submit course descriptions, a course syllabus and the credentials of the instructor for each class that is being appealed.

If after all appeal steps internal to Missouri Western have been exhausted, transfer students can appeal to the state level committee on transfer and articulation.

How to appeal at the state level:
A student must explain in writing the reason for the appeal to the committee on transfer and articulation and then send that appeal to:

Commissioner of Higher Education
Coordinating Board for Higher Education
3515 Amazonas Drive
Jefferson City, MO 65109