Dear Missouri Western Parents, Families, and Friends,

Just as many of your students recently joined the Griffon Family this Fall, I am new as well! Roughly a month ago, my yellow Labrador and I packed up and headed west to start a new adventure here as your Dean of Students. I am tremendously excited to be a Griffon, and to serve both you and your students!

Before moving to Missouri, my education and career in higher education took place in Kentucky. I had the honor of working at the University of Louisville, Bellarmine University, and Transylvania University in a variety of roles. Most of my experience has been in Housing and Residence Life, but most recently I served as the Director of Student Transitions and Parent Family Programs at Transylvania. And let me tell you… I LOVE working with parents! Truly!

You, the parents and families of our students, are valuable partners. You know your student and how they’ve grown and changed throughout their lives, and you’ve entrusted us to continue assisting them along their journey. I also know that you, parents and families, tend to experience many college transitions of your own: dealing with an empty nest, not having access to academic information you once had, trusting that your student is sleeping or eating enough, worrying that they’re not making friends… or maybe you’re happy for the extra space and freedoms yourself!

As the Dean of Students, my job is to be an advocate for the personal development, wellness, and the rights of your students. I also work to promote ethical behavior, through our student conduct system. This means that I am a great first resource for you. Sometimes it’s hard to know how to help your students, or what resources might be available. I may not have all the answers, but I will navigate the steps or options with you.

We have a wealth of resources and people at Missouri Western ready to support your student on their path to success. I work directly with the Accessibility Resource Center, Baker Family Fitness Center, Behavioral Intervention Team, Campus Recreation Services, Counseling Center, Emergency Response Procedures, Esry Student Health Center, Graduate Student Support, Lost and Found, Parent and Family Programs, Student Conduct System, and assist with Title IX. You can learn more about each of these areas here: Dean of Students Webpage

I hope you have a wonderful fall season. Please, do not hesitate to contact me.

Most sincerely,

Dr. Hannah Rushe Piechowski

Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students

hpiechowski@missouriwestern.edu

(816) 271-4432

Insta: mwsu.dean.dr.pie