What to Leave at Home
While the University wants you to be comfortable in your room, there are certain items that are prohibited. Primarily, these items are in regard to safety. Below is a list of items that are prohibited, and if found on campus, are a violation of University policy and would result in a referral to the MWSU Police Department, Dean of Student Affairs or the Office of Residential Life. This list is not all-inclusive. Please consult the Residence Hall Guide for a complete listing of all residence hall policies and procedures. Should you have questions about a particular item, please consult the Residence Hall Info on this web site or contact the Office of Residence Life at (816) 383-7100.
- All firearms (including, but not limited to, handguns, rifles, pellet guns, BB guns) All other weapons (including, but not limited to, swords bow and arrows, balloon slingshots, martial arts weapons, hunting knives)
- Flammable fluids/chemicals/Lighter Fluid
- Appliances and Cooking: All electrical cooking and heat-producing appliances such as hot plates, toaster ovens, popcorn makers, space heaters, sun lamps, halogen lamps and other appliances with open heating coils are prohibited from use in residence hall rooms
- Miscellaneous: The following are not allowed in student rooms: Pets (with the exception of fish in a tank no larger than 10 gallons, and then only with roommate’s approval), water beds, internal combustion engines, any acids, automobile batteries, gasoline, lighter fluid, fireworks or other explosives. No signs may be posted on windows or outside doors. Candles and incense are not allowed
- Room Furnishings: The following room furnishings are provided: bed, mattress, drapes, desk, chair, desk lamp, dresser and hanging space for clothes. The University does not provide linens, pillows, or wastebaskets. Residence hall furniture must stay in the room.
- Alcoholic beverages and empty alcohol containers even if for decorative purposes.