Intramural Basketball Rules
The National Federation of State High School Association Basketball rules will govern the Intramural basketball season. The following exceptions to those rules are as follows:
Carry gym shoes in or wipe off on towels before you enter the court area.
All players must present ID while playing and pick them up after the game is over.
Spectators must be away from the court in use. Only the teams can be on court side.
All teams must supply an official as follows:
If you play at 6 pm you will need to have a person to ref the 7 pm game
If you play at 7 pm you will need to have a person to ref the 6 pm game
If you play at 8 pm you will need to have a person to ref the 9 pm game
If you play at 9 pm you will need to have a person to ref the 8 pm game
If you do not have a referee here you will be docked 20 points from the very start of your next game.
Two (2) twenty minute halves with a five (5) minute half-time. The clock will run continuously, stopping only during the last two (2) minutes of the second half of the game for dead balls, when the officials determines there is an unnecessary delay in the game (ball rolling on the courts), or when a time out is called.
Overtime will consist of two minutes with the clock stopping in the same manner as above. A toss of the coin shall determine who receives the ball first at the beginning of overtime.
One time-out will be allowed per half. These do not carry over from half to half or into over-time. One time-out will be allowed for each over-time. If a team attempts to take a time-out when it has none left, the request will be ignored.
Fouls & Penalties
- Profanity will not be tolerated in Intramural competition. Any profanity, whether directed at the other team, Intramural staff, or no one in particular, will result in a technical foul. If deemed flagrant or abusive, profanity may result in ejection from the game.
- Delay of game.
- Vibrating the backboard or touching the rim or net while the ball is in flight.
- Letting a person participate after being ejected. If deemed flagrant, will result in forfeiture of game.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct.
- Entering the playing court without checking in with the score/timer.
- Inciting the crowd.
- Any flagrant, intentional foul will result in automatic ejection from the game.
All technical fouls will be called by the officials, or the Intramural personnel. All technicals will result in two (2) shots and possession of the ball.
- All non-shooting fouls shall result in the fouled team gaining possession of the ball out of bounds at the sideline nearest to where the foul occurred.
- All shooting fouls shall result in either one shot or two shots, depending on whether the basket is made or missed.
- All fouls occurring in the last two (2) minutes of the second half and in over-time shall result in two shots.
- If a player control foul (charging) occurs after a goal, the goal is canceled.
- If a player is ejected from the game, they will not be substituted for during the remainder of the game. The ejected player must sit out the remainder of the basketball season.
After a foul has been committed, the player will have 10 seconds to shoot the ball after it is received from the official.
Other Rule Variations
- No 10 second rule concerning crossing the half court line.
- There shall be NO DUNKING DURING WARM-UP. Dunking is allowed during a game, but the person dunking the ball may not hang on the rim.
- Substitutes must check in at the scorer/timer table then the exchange must be made out of bounds at half court. Substitutes may go in only during a dead ball, i.e.: after a violation or foul, NOT after a basket. The substitutes may go in until whistled in by the scorer/timer.
- There will no jump balls. The game will be started by the toss of a coin by the Intramural official. The winner of the toss can decide whether to have possession of the ball at the beginning of the game or at the beginning of the second half. After this point, possession of jump balls will alternate from team to team during each individual half.
- NO BRACELETS, NECKLACES, ETC, WILL BE ALLOWED EXCEPT STUD EARRINGS. HATS ARE ALSO NOT ALLOWED!!!!
- The official or Intramural personnel will make the final decision regarding goal tending if the team captains cannot agree.
- Players or spectators are not allowed at the scorers table unless they are checking in.
- Players can be added to the teams only if the captain of the team comes into the intramural office and adds a player. A team can only have 15 players. No matter how many player you have on your roster, no more names can be added to the roster 24 hours after the first game. If a player is injured and your team falls below 10 player you can petition for an additional player.
- If a player does not appear on the scoresheet they cannot play.
Team Captain Responsibilities
- Call all time-outs.
- Settle all disputes concerning fouls and/or violations with officials. Intramural personnel reserve the right to call the game at any time deemed necessary.
- Responsible for all actions of his/her team. Must make players leave the court that is asked by the officials or Intramural personnel to leave the court or the team will forfeit the game.
- Be responsible for determining eligibility according to Intramural eligibility rules. If an ineligible player is found, all games in which they played will be forfeited.
- Be responsible for insuring that the scorer/timer can identify the person committing the foul.
- Be responsible for designating a court captain when he/she is not playing in the game.
- Protests may only be made concerning ineligible players and rule interpretations. Protests concerning calls by an official will not be heard.
- Only the captains may address officials, scorers, timers, managers or interns.
- Responsible to tell his team that they use their own insurance.
The Intramural department reserves the right to stop any game at any time and declare a forfeit when necessary. Unsportsmanlike conduct and unnecessary roughness will not be tolerated. If two forfeits occur for the same team, that team will be eliminated from basketball. If you contact the office by 2:00 p.m. the day of your game to let us know that your team will not be able to play, it will result in a loss but not a forfeit. The Intramural Office number is 271-4247 or 271-4453.