Prairie Lands is a window into a world, a community of writers, that I never knew existed. People with the same passions and desires to be more and do more with our writing, our students, and the teaching of writers. I am not alone.
Since 2002, Prairie Lands Writing Project has successfully conducted inservices throughout north Missouri, including at schools in Stanberry, Chillicothe, Mound City, Hamilton, Excelsior Springs, Savannah, Platte City, Lathrop, St Joseph, and Kansas City (Park Hill School District). In our programs, PLWP uses the National Writing Project’s model of professional development with its thirty-year track record of improving students’ writing and learning. As a NWP site, we are an authorized provider of standards-aligned professional development and eligible for NCLB funding under Title I, Part A; Title II, Part A; Title II, Part D.
Professional Development Funding and Content
Title I, Part A (Professional development and mentoring programs for Title I schools and teachers)
Title II, Part A (Professional development for helping teachers meet NCLB teacher requirements; Professional development in subject-matter knowledge, improving teaching skills, and assisting teachers to use Missouri’s content area Grade Level Expectations and Missouri Assessment Program to improve student achievement)
Title II, Part D (Professional development focused on enhancing education through technology)
Our school-based professional development content can include, but is not limited to
- Implementing Writer’s Workshop and/or Reader’s Workshop
- Preparing students for academic writing and critical reading across the disciplines
- Preparing students for writing on demand—district assessments, MAP, ACT, SAT, Advanced Placement, etc.
- Helping teachers design curriculum, assignments, and assessments to implement an effective reading and writing program
- Using assessment results to inform instruction
- Teaching response, revision and editing
- Using technology to teach writing
- Facilitating book study groups for teachers