|Current students, contact:
Blum Student Union 228
Eder Hall 203
TRAVELING OUT OF THE U.S.?
Helpful Tips for F-1/J-1 Departure & Return
Before You Leave...
- Obtain a new I-20/DS-2019 travel signature.
- Need a new visa? Be sure your I-20/DS-2019 is valid and all
information such as major, finances, program level and
expiration date is current; you will need a copy of your
transcript, proof of continuing enrollment, current evidence of
financial support from the same source shown on I-20/DS-2019.
Check the consulate website where you will be applying for more
specific application requirements.
- Verify need for a transit visa if passing through other
countries - contact the embassy of those countries.
- Be sure your passport is valid at least 6 months into the
future from the date of your planned reentry. Plan to renew it
- Take your I-20/DS-2019, passport, visa, I-94, EAD or work
authorization and proof of employment (if on OPT/AT), proof of
financial support, evidence of enrollment (transcript /class
- If you have dependents (traveling with you or separately) be
sure they have all travel documents and that documents are
current as noted above.
- Follow exit registration requirements and depart through a
designated port if subject to Special Registration (NSEERS).
- Surrender your I-94 at port of departure. You will need to
fill up a new I-94 when you re-enter the US.
When You Return...
- Plan adequate time between international and domestic flight
connections to clear unexpected reentry inspection delays
(suggested to allow at least 3 hours).
- Have your passport, I-20/DS-2109, visa, evidence of
financial support, proof of enrollment or EAD/work authorization
and proof of employment (if on OPT/AT), ready to present at port
of entry, but present only the documents you are asked to show.
DO NOT put the documents in your check-in luggage.
- Be sure to have your I-20/DS-2019 stamped at the port of
entry if traveling with a new document to regain or acquire new
- Carry the International Student Services phone number
with you in case you have trouble: 816-271-5990