In Contribute, users can insert and edit images with new inline editing capabilities (see Figure 1) built right into the application.
Figure 1. Image editing toolbar (bottom)
Note: These options will not be available if the Contribute user belongs to a user role that is restricted from editing images.
To edit an image:
- Browse to select the page that contains the image to edit.
- Click the Edit Page button.
- Select the image. A light blue border displays around the graphic, and displays the image editing toolbar automatically.
Also, access any of the image editing tools by selecting Format > Edit Image, and by selecting one of the options from the submenu. You can also simply right-click the image and select Edit Image from the pop-up menu.
The Resize button (leftmost button on the image editing toolbar) works as follows:
- Select the image to resize.
- Click the Resize button.
- Drag one of the selection handles to the desired image size by holding down the Shift key while dragging a selection handle. This resizes the image without distorting the dimensions.
Clicking either of the Rotate buttons (circles with arrows) rotates an image counter-clockwise or clockwise. Clicking the Rotate button multiple times rotates the image further in the same direction.
The Sharpen button (triangle) increases the contrast of the pixels around the edges of the selected item, enabling improved image definition or sharpness.
The Brightness/Contrast button (half-filled circle) alters the brightness and contrast of the pixels within the selected image. Use this option to correct images that are too dark or too light. This feature works best on photographs.
The four Align controls align an image two ways: Either change the alignment of an image on the page (for example, where an image appears in a table cell) or change how the image aligns within the surrounding elements.
To change the alignment of an image, select the image and click an alignment option in the image editing toolbar.
To change the alignment of an image in relation to the surrounding elements (so they flow around it, for example), do one of the following:
- Double-click the image and select an option from the Alignment pop-up menu in the Image Properties dialog box.
- Right-click (Windows) or Control-click (Mac) the image and select an option from the Align pop-up menu.
Contribute aligns the image in relation to surrounding elements, such as text.