From MWSU Graduate School Policy Portal
The Graduate Council at MWSU is responsible for developing and recommending University policy and procedures for graduate study, establishing standards, criteria, and approving graduate curriculum in accordance with existing University policies and, through the Graduate Dean, for advising the administration on matters affecting administration of graduate education. This includes graduate offerings, student policies, and graduate faculty appointment.
All policies impacting graduate education must pass acceptance by a majority vote of the Graduate Council.
Meetings of the Council will occur a minimum of twice a semester and additional times as called upon by the Graduate Council Chair. The Graduate Council shall establish bylaws for conducting its business in consultation with appropriate governance bodies and the Graduate Dean. The Faculty Senate shall review these bylaws and recommend approval to the Provost.
- Voting members: one Graduate Faculty member per academic department offering graduate courses/ graduate degree. Provost may also appoint up to three at-large, nonadministrative faculty members. Graduate Council members shall be elected by their respective departments, recommended by the department chair, and approved by the appropriate Academic Dean and Provost. Voting members will have a 3 year term. A Graduate Faculty member may serve two consecutive terms, then must be off the Graduate Council for at least one full 3-year term.
- The Council shall elect from among its voting members, a chair and a vice chair to each serve a two year term.
- Non-voting members: Academic Deans (Professional Studies, Liberal Arts and Sciences), and one Faculty Senate Liaison.
- The Graduate Dean shall be Executive Secretary, non-voting, with responsibility in consultation with the Council Chair for scheduling meetings, drafting and distributing agenda and minutes, and providing documents and background information to the Council necessary for it to fulfill its charge.
- One student, elected by the Graduate Student Association membership, will serve without a vote. The Graduate Student Association must have membership with the National Association of Graduate and Professional Students. The student representative will serve a one year term and can be re-elected indefinitely.
Current Graduate Council
|Pete Hriso||Art||8/2014||Vice Chair|
|Vivek Madupu||Craig School Business||8/2012|
Graduate Dean: Benjamin Caldwell
Graduate Student Representative: Open