Click here to Apply for the Blake K. Scanlon
Applied Learning Presentation Grant Fund
The Blake K. Scanlon Applied Learning Presentation Grant Fund was established by James J. and Lauren K. Scanlon for the purpose of providing grants to Missouri Western State University students presenting refereed papers (or refereed poster sessions) or exhibiting juried works (or making juried performances) in
national and international professional venues
(not regional). The funds shall be used
to cover travel, lodging, and meal expenses
associated with their role in these venues.
Individual grant awards shall be no more than $1,000.
Eligibility for support through the
Blake K. Scanlon Applied Learning
Presentation Grant Fund includes:
Applicants must be
currently enrolled as students at Missouri
Western State University.
Activities must have a direct relationship to
current academic studies and serve as an enhancement of the academic
Eligible expenditures include travel and hotel
accommodations in a conference city, registration fees, meals and other
expenses specifically related to the approved activity.
The following application process must be followed for all requests for allocations:
- Students must present a request in writing which shall include:
- Name, address, telephone number, e-mail address.
- Declared major.
- A detailed description of the activity, including dates/time/location of event, and an explanation of the relationship to current academic studies.
- An itemized budget of expenditures (travel expenses, lodging, registration fees, meals, etc) with the specific amount requested.
- A listing of funding from any other sources.
- A letter of recommendation from the faculty member(s) who officially supervised the project that led to the national presentation, exhibition or performance opportunity.
- Proposals will be reviewed
by a Committee charged with the
responsibility of evaluating the
- Students will be required to provide a brief summary report after the completion of the activity in order to facilitate the Foundation's assessment of the impact/benefit of the support provided. The accountability reports must be submitted not later than the end of the semester in which funding was received.
Application Deadlines/Notification Process:
Decisions regarding requests for allocations generally are made in October for the fall semester, and in February for the spring semester. For October consideration, applications should be submitted no later than October 19. For February consideration, applications should be submitted no later than February 8. Applications may be submitted after those dates if the activities were not anticipated in time for the deadlines. Notification of the decisions regarding funding requests will be made in writing within 10 business days following the fall or spring deadlines or within 10 business days after submission of a proposal submitted after those deadlines.
Proposals should be sent to:
Missouri Western State University Foundation
4525 Downs Drive - Spratt 111
St. Joseph, MO 64507