Click here to Apply for the
Student Excellence Fund
The mission of the Missouri Western State University Foundation is to support the university and its goal to inspire a lifelong passion for learning, and to empower a diverse population of students to succeed as citizens in a changing world. The Student Excellence Fund (SEF) is a source of financial assistance provided for Western's students, through the Missouri Western State University Foundation. The SEF provides an opportunity for students to participate in activities that complement classroom learning which may be inaccessible due to financial limitations. This fund is used for activities such as conferences and seminars, research, presentation of papers and participation in state and national competitions and tournaments. Allocations from the SEF are based upon availability of funds, with the maximum award per student per academic year limited to $700.
Eligibility for support through the Student Excellence Fund includes:
Applicants must be currently enrolled as students at Missouri Western State University.
Activities must have a direct relationship to current academic studies and serve as an enhancement of the academic experience.
Eligible expenditures include travel and hotel accommodations in a conference city, registration fees, meals (up to $30 per day) and other expenses specifically related to the approved activity.
Students who have not had an award during the current year will be given priority over students who have had an award during the current year (July 2012 - June 30, 2013).
The following application process must be followed for all requests for allocations:
- Students must present a request in writing which shall include:
- Name, address, telephone number, e-mail address.
- Declared major.
- A detailed description of the activity, including dates/time/location of event, and an explanation of the relationship to current academic studies.
- An itemized budget of expenditures (travel expenses, lodging, registration fees, etc) with the specific amount requested.
- Meal charges are not reimbursed.
- A listing of funding from any other sources.
- A letter of recommendation from a faculty member, with approval from the respective chairperson.
- Proposals will be reviewed by a Committee charged with the responsibility of evaluating the requests. When evaluating proposals for attendance at conferences and meetings, the following priorities will be used: A) making a presentation; B) being an active participant other than making a presentation; C) being an officer of the organization; D) attending without active participation; E) participating in a class for credit that includes travel.
- Students will be required to provide a brief summary report after the completion of the activity in order to facilitate the Foundation's assessment of the impact/benefit of the support provided. The accountability reports must be submitted not later than the end of the semester in which funding was received.
Application Deadlines/Notification Process:
Decisions regarding requests for allocations generally are made in October for the fall semester, and in February for the spring semester. For October consideration, applications should be submitted no later than October 19. For February consideration, applications should be submitted no later than February 8. Applications may be submitted after those dates if the activities were not anticipated in time for the deadlines. Notification of the decisions regarding funding requests will be made in writing within 10 business days following the fall or spring deadlines or within 10 business days after submission of a proposal submitted after those deadlines.
Proposals should be sent to:
Missouri Western State University Foundation
4525 Downs Drive - Spratt 111
St. Joseph, MO 64507